post or online - which is best?

I've been puzzling this evening and am now ready to submit my entries for the take a break weekly mag puzzles. Now entering online means no postage or associated costs but how do the competition bods distinguish between online and postal entries? If there's only one prize then it can't be a simple case of this comp we'll pick an online entry then the next comp we'll pick a postal entry? I'm guessing a winner from online entries is generated by computer but postal entries, surely it's a first out the hat job?

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,896 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 February 2018 at 11:56PM
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    I've been puzzling this evening and am now ready to submit my entries for the take a break weekly mag puzzles. Now entering online means no postage or associated costs but how do the competition bods distinguish between online and postal entries? If there's only one prize then it can't be a simple case of this comp we'll pick an online entry then the next comp we'll pick a postal entry? I'm guessing a winner from online entries is generated by computer but postal entries, surely it's a first out the hat job?

They are all combined before winners are selected (the postal entries are computerised).

Found a bit from an old post about the company that handled real people magazine and others in that group
    The monthly entries are scanned initially and then the unique competition code for each entry is captured by our data capture team. This allows for competition entry results to be provided and each entry is placed in a unique competition pot to allow for computerized winner selection once each competition has closed.
  • mansey
    mansey Posts: 4,584 Forumite
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    They are all combined before winners are selected (the postal entries are computerised).

Found a bit from an old post about the company that handled real people magazine and others in that group

I never knew that :eek: :T
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.” - Billy Joel
    C2W........718/1000......FB...........526/1000
    IG...........667/1000......MD..........652/1000
    2020 January Challenge
    Simply Media 423/1000
    Winning Moments 85/1000
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,896 Forumite
    mansey wrote: »
    I never knew that :eek: :T

It's similar to what they do with with postcard entries to the Derby PO Boxes for ITV, C5 etc

The company that handles that lot
    We regularly capture data in any volumes from a variety of media including:... competition entries...

data capture is split across two locations, each providing connectivity and contingency for the other in the event of a major system failure....

We have the capability to process data via the traditional method of keyboard input; by scanning; through the use of automated data capture and data recognition systems
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure