Travelling On

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    ZTD wrote: »
    Every request you send is in plain text, and will include a "Cookie" header (this is an example Cookie header, but if you explore your own cookies in your browser, you'll see actual ones).

Cookie: PHPSESSID=298zf09hf012fh2; csrftoken=u32t4o3tb3gg43; _gat=1;

If I were to copy that (and since it's unencrypted and less confidential than a postcard - it's easy), and send it on *my* requests - I'd become you. I wouldn't need to "catch" you typing a password, I'd only need you to use MSE - every request you make has it.
    But it would only let them capture my MSE password wouldn't it? They're welcome to it if they're that desperate :rotfl:.

I used to know about session & permanent cookies and opting in/out and stuff :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    gallygirl wrote: »
    But it would only let them capture my MSE password wouldn't it? They're welcome to it if they're that desperate :rotfl:.

I used to know about session & permanent cookies and opting in/out and stuff :o.

It wouldn't give them your password (Please God, let them not have encoded passwords into cookies), just to allow them to impersonate you. This just means post "content", send phishing PMs, change your password/email address etc - all as you.

So when it says you shouldn't PM any confidential information and that this site does not have "bank level security" - they're not kidding.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Should we be worried Z.

Enjoy your day Karmcat :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    beanielou wrote: »
    Should we be worried Z.

If this was *actually* an important site, then yes. Their security is poor - I have better security for stuff at work only I use. But this isn't an important site, and being inept and cack-handed doesn't matter all that much.

MSE have previously lost usernames & passwords before (and sat on it for many months) and if GallyGirl suddenly sends you a PM offering you tablets which will give you a "long schlong fresh from Hong Kong, only 20 Dong" - you can safely ignore it and delete.

Just make damn sure you don't give out confidential things over PMs in response to an unsolicited request, and delete such things ASAP if it's not unsolicited.

The annoying thing, is that the hosting platform they use gives https essentially for free (see Https Everywhere), but if you try https, you get shovelled back to http - despite the fact they've bought a certificate and everything.

| ssl-cert: Subject: commonName=*.moneysavingexpert.com/organizationName=MoneySa vingExpert.com Limited/stateOrProvinceName=London/countryName=GB
    | Issuer: commonName=GlobalSign Organization Validation CA - SHA256 - G2/organiz ationName=GlobalSign nv-sa/countryName=BE
    | Public Key type: rsa
    | Public Key bits: 2048
    | Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
    | Not valid before: 2017-01-10T14:11:16
    | Not valid after: 2020-01-11T14:11:16
    | MD5: 7af0 0597 b5e2 b464 000b 2d8a c113 4f1c
    |_SHA-1: 96bc 4e44 7440 c356 fd1b 8e6b cb3e d285 3747 6e62
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I had that password thing today as well, glad it's not just me.

hope you are having a good day out KC, although the weather may not be that good
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :wave: Day out was lovely - we spent most of our time in the county craft guild shop, staffed by the individual artists - several pressies were bought for the future :) Though as Goldie thought, the weather was diabolical, and the local healthy cafe was so crowded we ended up sitting almost outside, where the coach-and-fours space was :eek: I had hot tea and a to-die-for parmesan twist, with a rocket salad and balsamic vinegar - only in Tourist Town, I tell you :rotfl:
    Are you allergic to the nickel in the fasteners? Painting the with clear nail varnish can help.
    Its the zip too, SHS - I can't see that working with the zip :( but all potential fixes appreciated :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your day Karmcat :)
    Thanks beanie - it was good to get out again, and that town is accessible to me *and* my sister, and contains lots of stuff we haven't done together. Excursions for spring are planned!
    ZTD wrote: »
    Just make damn sure you don't give out confidential things over PMs in response to an unsolicited request, and delete such things ASAP if it's not unsolicited.
    I've no idea what the list of numbers meant, Z, and frankly I'm not keen to find out :o:o:o but this paragraph, this I understood the implications. Because I *have* sent out things in pm I meant not to be seen by the wider world - not exactly confidential, but a bit private. No bank codes or anything! I think I'll be deleting pms a lot quicker in future, so this is appreciated, thank you.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Mine expired after 23 days - on what planet is eight years 23 days I wonder?

Planet "Big Brother" where 23 days of that tut would feel like a prison sentence...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Yes, like you will be deleting PM's much more promptly.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Is it just me? A long schlong fresh from Hong Kong spounds okay.
  • ZTD
    Is it just me? A long schlong fresh from Hong Kong spounds okay.

It probably pounds okay as well... :rotfl:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure