PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2018 at 11:16PM
    Igamogam wrote: »
    I was speaking to a speech therapist recently who says research is now being done and trends being noted that show a rise in referrals correlating with the almost universal ownership of the smart phone and that is adult ownership.........think there some other factors too IMO but it is both interesting and worrying. Not sure what we are setting up for the future.

I think it also coincides with a lot of other worrying things, but correlation has never been a scientific marker for causality. The number of mothers who now have no time to talk at length to their children because they are too busy trying to fit 30 hours into a 24 hour day would be a far more likely candidate. Hence the reason the children are talking with American accents. The children listen to American accents on the TV, on their ipads and smartphones while playing games and watching cartoons, and hear each other speaking in the same way. At nursery age some children rarely hear a long piece of dialogue in standard spoken English, either at home or elsewhere.
  • Floss wrote: »
    Yes mine too - and it is always me who has to clean out the shower trap :(

That’s my very worse job. Yuk
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Plughole hair catcher/ strainer. Simple device that works wonders. I have a cheap metal one, but there are some really fancy ones out there now.

I pour very little down my kitchen sink as I have a white plastic sink that stains. Stupid design. Kitchen sinks should be stainless steel. Note: stainless.

I have a long thin brush to remove any gunk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01L1V10GO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517904503&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sink+cleaning+brush&dpPl=1&dpID=41o%2Bu-0oH2L&ref=plSrch
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Slinky, rather than worry about storing soda crystals I would just NEVER PUT STUFF LIKE THAT DOWN A SINK :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: seriously, sinks are not designed to flush away cream sauce let alone burnt cream sauce.

Daisy xx

I know, I know, I don't normally put fats down the sink for precisely this reason (we eat high fat low carb), I don't know what came over me to do this! Just getting rid of the evidence I think!

Thanks ladies, I'll get a 2 pints milk bottle next and decant the soda crystals into that.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Ours seemed to be getting blocked and so I puggled a long skewer down there and removed quite a large quantity of hair by kinda pulling it up and out of the plug hole. My DH seems to think that beard dissolves in water like a Berocca. :cool:

My OH shaves daily and I think it's a combination of slow running soap/shaving foam/beard mix and toothpaste that led to the bathroom basin becoming blocked. Modern ones have a P shaped trap rather than a U bend. There's not a lot space in behind our pedestal which rather than being U shaped has shoulders at the back which limits the space and getting the trap off is darned nigh impossible without moving the pedestal, which as we know with our one, is supporting the basin rather than just hiding the pipes behind it.

We'll have to get in the habit of running more water through it when cleaning teeth, and he'll have to dilute his 'beard soup' a bit more!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• Slinky
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Plughole hair catcher/ strainer. Simple device that works wonders. I have a cheap metal one, but there are some really fancy ones out there now.

I pour very little down my kitchen sink as I have a white plastic sink that stains. Stupid design. Kitchen sinks should be stainless steel. Note: stainless.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01L1V10GO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517904503&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sink+cleaning+brush&dpPl=1&dpID=41o%2Bu-0oH2L&ref=plSrch

That reminds me of a plastic thing that came with some Mr Muscle. I pushed it down and struggled to get it back out as it got caught in the P trap! So do be careful!
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Fen1 wrote: »

Ooh that looks like just what i need to get into a constantly blocking plug where i can't remove the plug cover thing (technical term :rotfl:) It won't be able to get as far as the bend so it should be fine. thanks

today i have finally kondoed some teaching notes that i have accepted i will never use again. It's a subject I don't like and don't plan to teach again and the notes are way out of date in any case.

That's two huge folders worth gone :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Lots more rubbish gone into bags for the tip - old bread bin, old bin, broken picture frame, broken lampshade, Ikea container that had some weird mouldy looking stuff on it. I think it must have been some mascara that leaked onto it, but it wouldn't wash off.

I also used up a hair serum and a conditioner, both bottles into recycling.

An unwanted plant will go to a friend as she loves gardening.

:T
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Re blocked sinks. Rather than rinse n spit toothpaste into the basin we spit it into the loo. I found our new sink was regularly slow running whereas the old one never ever blocked in years so we are more aware now. Yes, DH shaving still causes the odd prob but he doesn't wet-shave that often.

It's good to back, I see familiar folk and new KM enthusiasts!!

Well it's been a very different 2.5 months. A period of intense stress and upset :( and living out of a weekend bag :rotfl:, followed by a few weeks visiting friends in the Caribbean :D I packed in a rush and greatly over-packed. :rotfl: Haven't done that for ages.).

Since returning on Friday I have got all the washing done and put away. Unpacked the suitcases and put them away. Sorted 4 garments to go to CS. Worked yester. I also re-arranged my work schedule so i don't have a killer Monday :). I must say I was greeted like the prodigal by my clients. Everyone said they'd really missed me and it was lovely to see them.

I am about to tackle the multipurpose room. There are still xmas presents in there that i did not get chance to give to several friends and they are taking up room and annoying me! I have nowhere else to store them though so will see if they can be made less obtrusive and crack on with the rest of the tidying as bes
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Nothing physical Kondoed today, but I may have decided to kondo a large amount of £ on the new flooring I’m hoping to use in our new house! Horribly expensive, but will bring the Scandi style I love and more importantly, lift the light in some naturally dark rooms. Excited but :eek::eek:
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure