Windows Update Issue

Windows update is taking forever to download, suggestions on Google don't seem to be working.

Windows 7, IE11 HPG61

Basically, the drive light (3rd on left) is constantly on, I'm trying to ascertain if the drivers are up to date

Any recommendations or suggestions please?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Where possible don't use drivers from Windows Update, they more often than not cause more problems than they claim to fix. Look up the model on HP's website instead.

The Windows Update taking forever on Windows 7 is well known and has been the case since July 2015. Multiple solutions posted all over the internet but not all work for everybody - may be a case of waiting it out on your laptop.
  • Webpages hang, takes ages to switch between tabs I notice this happens when the "drive" light is on, i.e. laptop freezes, when the light goes off, I'm then able to switch between webpages.

I've upgraded my laptop memory, and used CC.

This issue started about 2 weeks ago, and now happens almost every time I'm trying to switch between tabs.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is the issue with Windows Update or with you web browser?

If it's WU, search for and download the update manually (from the MS website).

If it's your web browser, try creating a new user profile to see if the problem still occurs:

https://www.howtogeek.com/139705/how-to-use-multiple-browser-profiles-in-any-browser/
  • tbh, I'm hopeless with technology :o:o
    esuhl wrote: »
    Is the issue with Windows Update or with you web browser?

I've no idea, initially, the issue started with the device light remaining on, causing the pages to hang

I searched Google to see what the issue maybe, and found it could be related to driver update, I then tried to do MS updates which were taking ages to load
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure