Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fazsnatch
    • By fazsnatch 10th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fazsnatch
    Can I start a new Job whilst using Annual Leave on my 4 Weeks Notice
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    Can I start a new Job whilst using Annual Leave on my 4 Weeks Notice 10th Aug 18 at 9:26 PM
    Hi all,

I am about to leave my current job and give in my notice which is 4 weeks. Now I have worked out I have a week's annual leave which I will add at the end of my 4 weeks.

Now the question is, can I start my new job in the last week of my notice period on the week I am using my annual leave?
Page 1
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 10th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    • 5,853 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    Hi all,

I am about to leave my current job and give in my notice which is 4 weeks. Now I have worked out I have a week's annual leave which I will add at the end of my 4 weeks.

Now the question is, can I start my new job in the last week of my notice period on the week I am using my annual leave?
    Originally posted by fazsnatch
    Surely they will just pay the holiday at the end of the 4 weeks, if they do you are free to do what you want once the employment has finished
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • prowla
    • By prowla 10th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 9,988 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    prowla
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    Normally if you leave a company they will pay you any outstanding annual leave.
    • fazsnatch
    • By fazsnatch 10th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fazsnatch
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    So it is 3 weeks i will work at my current employer and then the last week of the 4 weeks is annual leave due to holidays they owe me.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 10th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 10,187 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    You can ask if you can use your annual leave as part of your notice period, but they can refuse the request, require you to work the four weeks and then pay you for the unused leave. Are you sure you are due a week's leave as your entitlement will be calculated pro rata to your termination date?
    • fazsnatch
    • By fazsnatch 10th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fazsnatch
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    My understanding is the employer will ask me to use the 5 annual days i have remaining during the 4 weeks notice period. I was not aware that I will get them paid instead.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    marlot
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    Different employers have different policies. My last one said no annual leave to be taken in notice period (and they'd pay it at the end). My current one says all annual leave to be taken before last day (and any excess won't normally be paid).

Check your staff handbook!
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 11th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    Hi all,

Originally posted by fazsnatch
    Strictly speaking no. Your employer could in theory cancel your leave and require you to work all of your four weeks notice. Obviously if they did that they would have to pay you for the unused holiday after you have left.

As you describe the situation you are still technically employed by your current employer for that last week when you want to start your new job.

In all probability if you ask your current employer they won't have a problem but you are taking a slight risk if you do it without permission.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,348Posts Today

8,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin