Balancing not just the budget

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    bellevie wrote: »
    Oh wow a camper! We would love one, only DP is into ancient VW's whereas I like newer shiny things so we have yet to agree on anything.

At the minute he has a 70s vw beetle which I am too scared to sit in, I'm convinced it will fall apart and we will be stranded somewhere!!

Have you planned any trips yet?

xx

Hi Bellevie, I love the look of the VWs but they are expensive precisely because people recognise them and so I got something rather less iconic!

I am just figuring out where to take it - a potential option later in the week has changed so will have a think. I feel a bit daft having it just sitting there now, but it has taken so much longer to organise everything than I thought! I think I've got most of the stuff I need now, so will be going over to it today or tomorrow for some experimenting and then I think it will be time to book some leave. Of course I haven't managed this in time for my planned June trip to the far north west :( but we'll see what else happens :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    I have faced up to a joint Sunday and payday shuffle... and paid the most e-nor-mouse CC bill :eek:_pale_
    But am pleased to say that despite the van racking up costs for the various bits I now need to put in it, things aren't totally out of control and I'm accepting that this is a long term investment now that I've got over the sight of the scary numbers. I am juuust about on track to clear things back to normal at the end of next month except that I will be spending again on more bits for van and campsites for some weekend escapes :D then again I have a payment for my extra contract due, so that might cover things. I did say I was prioritising escaping this summer and nowt is getting done with the house til the autumn, so there! :P

On a more sobering note, I've been reminded of the need for critical illness or income protection cover by a situation with friends. I had got as far as getting quotes for this through a financial advisor, then backed off it, partly because I have good support from work anyway, but have decided to follow it up again. I should also do something about a will, but oddly enough that fun job always slides down the priority list and it will have to wait a few weeks longer while I clear a few other things first.

Not much else to say :money: wise... ticking along :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Super quick shuffle report - all going ok, just done month end tidy up and it is pretty much as per last week. I have been spending on van stuff again :o but it's nearly there.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Shuffle postponed as was away at the weekend and also because I'm scared to look :rotfl:

Had a great time and more planned :D

Rosa xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I went to a local lawyer to do my will.
    Only took 1/2 an hour.
    Also did POA at the same time.
    MOney very well spent for me.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have you been out in your camper during the sunny weather Rosa? xx
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi Rosa :D

Have a look at "Wild-Camping" which can be done with a camper... no site fees ;)

Check out the Forestry Commission Website and see which forest parks are nearest you that have secluded car-parks / picnic sites away from the visitor centres... these are usually great spots to park and pitch up ;)

I've not paid for a site in a LONG time :D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • RosaBernicia
    Hi Rosa :D

Have a look at "Wild-Camping" which can be done with a camper... no site fees ;)

Check out the Forestry Commission Website and see which forest parks are nearest you that have secluded car-parks / picnic sites away from the visitor centres... these are usually great spots to park and pitch up ;)

I've not paid for a site in a LONG time :D

I am hoping to do just that but the rules are different your side of the border so have to get there first ... plans are afoot :D:j

(this side there's a lot of legislation aimed at traveller camps thanks to the usual few bad apples spoiling things for the rest :()
  • RosaBernicia
    bellevie wrote: »
    Have you been out in your camper during the sunny weather Rosa? xx

I'm just back from a weekend away to a gig - got to catch up with a friend I haven't seen in years and had a brilliant time :)

More in the planning stages but the van does need a couple of little things done and I want it fully serviced before I take it from one end of the country to the other, so just spoke to the garage and booked it in. Want it done asap but they are three weeks booked up, so everybody please hope they have a sudden cancellation on a day I can take off!

It's lovely to have the feeling of freedom, knowing I can run away for the weekend if I want. And I'm setting up the van with things I really like, decent quality bedding etc, so it is a little home from home - really cosy :heartpuls

Oh and I have now successfully reversed it twice and disconnected the battery when I left it at the storage. This is medal award standards for me :rotfl:

Rosa xx
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We did a few 'good food' pubs that let you take the van, generally found from here
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback