Employed (PAYE) £900 Tax Bill !!! 4 week/24 year anomally

Hi all,

I have been employed by the same company for over 20 years, I received a letter from HMRC saying I owe £903.17 !!! I do not do my own tax my employer does, I have spoke to them & HMRC & they both say it is an anomally thrown up every 24 years for people that are paid 4 weekly instead of monthly, this anomally is going to cost me £75 a month starting april 2020, this seems bonkers to me as it is completely out of my hands, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have a search for Week 53 Payments
    one example here - https://moneysoft.co.uk/support/week-53-payments/
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This should just be a tax code adjustment for this year to account for the over adjusted year.

Unfortunately as mentioned by Caz its to do with the calendars and weekly/4 weekly pay cycle.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,101 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2019 at 9:58AM
    Would you rather have had your final pay of the year taxed at basic/higher rate tax leaving you short to pay bills etc? That would be the alternative to HMRC reviewing it at the year end.

However the amount of underpayment would suggest other factors may be affecting the underpayment. Do you receive any employer benefits? If so, what figure was included in your 2018-19 tax code and what was the final P11D figure?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,338 Forumite
    going to cost me £75 a month starting april 2020,

You don't dispute that the tax is owed?

If you do owe the tax, then you have in effect been given an interest free loan by HMRC which you will repay by instalments?

That said, it is a pity that payroll did not include a note to explain the system with the "week 53" payslip.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2019 at 1:05AM
    xylophone wrote: »
    You don't dispute that the tax is owed?

If you do owe the tax, then you have in effect been given an interest free loan by HMRC which you will repay by instalments?

That said, it is a pity that payroll did not include a note to explain the system with the "week 53" payslip.

The OP seems to have been advised that the tax is owed due to the week 56 situation. If you were on the standard tax code of 1185L then you would have received about £988 extra tax allowance so if on 20% tax rate you would owe about £200 on 40% tax rate £400
    As BoGoF advises this strongly suggests that something else is involved which could be checked if the OP provides the full details.
    The vast majority of people affected by this week 53 54 56 will not owe anything near this amount.
    Certainly agree that a note for employees affected by this would be very helpful and in fact something along these lines was suggested by HMRC at the time they started to do this on the scale that it is currently done.

Edit Completely missed the point that the 20% tax band has been exhausted by pay period 13 for someone paying tax at 40% This greatly increases the tax owed if you are a 40% tax payer. Excellent explanation by unholyangel in post #10
  • stash999
    stash999 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Thanks for all the comments, I knew this was coming as my work emailed me earlier in the year about it, what I cannot understand is why it is £900, I receive no employee benefits, have been on more or less the exact same wage for 8 years +.
    I am at the stage now where I am really hoping somewhere here can help me understand as HMRC just baffle me with jargon.
    My income was 60k (its usually somewhere between 55-60K
    My tax code is 1260L
    My tax code last tax year was 1195L
    I receive no benefit in kind at all.

I just feel like considering I do not do my own tax that a £900 anomally seems a bit steep.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,101 Forumite
    What allowances and reliefs does your tax calculation for 2018/19 show. You seem to have a bit more than the standard tax free allowance in your code.

What are the exact figures from your P60?
  • This should just be a tax code adjustment for this year to account for the over adjusted year.

Not if the op has only just been notified of tax owed for 2018:19, the extra tax would start to be collected from April 2020.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Someones bound to disagree with my phrasing but in the interests of trying to help you understand.....tax works on a system of apportioning. So your allowance is split based on how frequently you're paid. In your case, your personal allowance of 11950 (could be 11950-11959 but 950 is more likely imo with a lot of Flat Rate Expenses being £100) divided by 13 (how many pay periods would be in a normal year). But in that year you received 14 pays. So the last pay would be liable for tax wholly at 40% with no allowances and no basic rate (since they would have been fully used in the previous 13 weeks).

So your allowance was £920 (rounded up slightly for ease) every 4 weeks and basic rate band apportioned was 2654.

So you should have paid 40% on the £920 you paid 0% on. And you should have paid 40% on the £2654 you paid 20% on. Add those together and you will come within about £4 of what you have quoted, which can easily be explained again by the way its calculated.

Hope that helps.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • stash999
    stash999 Posts: 23 Forumite
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Would you rather have had your final pay of the year taxed at basic/higher rate tax leaving you short to pay bills etc? That would be the alternative to HMRC reviewing it at the year end.

However the amount of underpayment would suggest other factors may be affecting the underpayment. Do you receive any employer benefits? If so, what figure was included in your 2018-19 tax code and what was the final P11D figure?

My final pay of the year was taxed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport