I really need advice with this student debt

Options
I'm going to be completely honest and open with everyone here, so you best understand my situation.

I was born with a mildly severe physical abnormality which was partly treated through surgery as a child, but there are still issues. Naturally, I developed self esteem issues as in my mid teens and it developed into a full blown self hatred and I just couldn't focus on anything. I had aspirations to be a doctor, and up until my bad patch, my grades suggested I would make it. So, I couldn't finish my a levels. I spent some time in supported living, on the then ESA. I moved out I think 2015/2016 still on ESA. My confidence was still horrible, I was scared to get a job. I had an experience gap, I was mentally ill and I wasn't pursuing a career I wanted. I then met my fiancee, who left me two weeks ago for an old school friend I introduced her to a few months ago.

I wanted to get some sort of semblence of a medical career back on track and to be able to support my ex partner. I was recommended an access course and I went to college to enquire about it. I was disheartened by the fact that my course fees would not be covered by my universal credit, as they were in the past. I didn't want to get into a situation where I start the course, my mental health becoming to much of a burden, resulting in me dropping out with a portion of a student loan to pay back. However, the course leader kept calling me (3 times) to push me to do the course. Part of me wanted to do it, I wanted to get into uni to do nursing. I finally accepted and took out the loan. But I was struggling from day one.

I stated in my application form that I suffer from mental health difficulties but I was never approached for help. And then in the most horrible turn of events - my grandma died, my mum became hospitalised with permanent brain damage, my brother developed depressionm and my partner attempted suicide which landed in hospital, after spending time with an abusive neighbour who was harassing me on top of all that. And the college was trying to make the course as needlessly complicated as possible to make it feel like it had the substance it lacked. Course work deadlines changing literally an hour before the agreed time, use of needless online computer programs for a biology assignment. I just wanted to push myself through science work and finally get that degree. At one point the college had to book me a taxi to get me to my gp to sort out anti depressants.

I'm now struggling with my fiancee of two years having left me for my friend, my mental illness and now this student loan. is there some sort of exceptional circumstance clause I could use to at the very least reduce the student loan fees? It stated, I believe, that I left the course at April, but I gave up before christmas. =/

Please help.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As I understand it, you only start repaying a student loan when you are earning above a certain amount of money, or have i mis-understood ?

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/repaying-student-loans
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Are you able to clarify if this was a college course, or an undergraduate University course (both do access courses but funding isn't the same)?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, it looks like this is an advanced learner loan for a college course? https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan. These are repaid in the same way as a student loan for undergraduates, you don't start paying this back until you earn above £25,725; https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/loans-for-adults-in-further-education-and-training The same applies if you studied at a University.
  • emperorstevee
    Options
    I believe that this is an advanced learner loan.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    You shouldn't have to start paying this until you start earning above £25,725. If your income's lower than this you need to contact the loan provider. It's worth asking them if they have any discretion for extenuating circumstances
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 August 2019 at 12:00PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    As I understand it, you only start repaying a student loan when you are earning above a certain amount of money, or have i mis-understood ?

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/repaying-student-loans

OP - there's quite a lot of incorrect advice above regarding student loans

If you quit half-way, the Student Loans Company can refuse to give you the next part of the loan but the college has a contract with you for all of it. Also, SLC can ask for the loan to be paid back immediately through installments incase of quitting. In the both cases, you can be on minimum wage and they'll still want it back.

In your case OP, I would go to the SLC and state your case and ask for the loan to be treated normally. If you have been billed from your college, you may have to settle through a debt management firm or approach them for an payment plan. Please don't bury your head in the sand, colleges and uni's can and will send the bailiffs round.

Best case scenario for any would-be course quitters out there. Fail your course if needs be, don't quit. Always remember that an enrolment form is a contract, you welch on the deal for whatever reason and they'll still want the tuition fee you agreed to pay. If SLC know you quit, they'll not pay the college...college then can come for you.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Always remember that an enrolment form is a contract, you welch on the deal for whatever reason and they'll still want the tuition fee you agreed to pay.

Same goes for the related items - student accommodation or rented property.

Mum and Dad (or M&M/D&D) get quite annoyed when the bill comes in for the rented property that they've guaranteed. Students don't usually have credit worthiness landlords want, so guess who signs.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure