In-house alert

My elderly mother is both frail and failing - since early March I have been with her full time. Now she's bed bound and can only reach the commode when required.

Until recently she's been able to use her mobile to reach me within the house which has worked well. Now she's much too shaky to manage this - last night she wasn't well and couldn't phone me. Happily all is OK, however this is now a worry.

Is there any kind of in-house easy to use alert system specifically for this kind of situation?
I have done an online search though am overwhelmed with the 'choice' and would appreciate advice from anyone who has been faced with this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,099
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    The baby monitor my step daughter uses when visiting would seem to work - she plugs it in near the child and carries the other end wherever she is in our house. No wires, very compact.

ETA it works both ways, big brother sings to baby if she's fretting!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Misslayed wrote: »
    The baby monitor my step daughter uses when visiting would seem to work - she plugs it in near the child and carries the other end wherever she is in our house. No wires, very compact.

ETA it works both ways, big brother sings to baby if she's fretting!

Thanks for that, never thought of a baby monitor although does it 'hear' all the time? I was thinking about something more along the lines of a button being pressed when help needed.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you use a doorbell with a PIR, she could just wave her hand in front of the PIR and you'd hear a loud BING BONG. Requires testing for location/her reach/accidentally waving her hand though else you'll find you get a BING BONG every time she turns in the bed.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,099
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    Gers wrote: »
    Thanks for that, never thought of a baby monitor although does it 'hear' all the time? I was thinking about something more along the lines of a button being pressed when help needed.

Yes it does 'hear' all the time, but it has an on/off switch, so as long as your end is switched on, she could keep her end nearby and switch it on when she needs help.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,114
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you use a doorbell with a PIR, she could just wave her hand in front of the PIR and you'd hear a loud BING BONG. Requires testing for location/her reach/accidentally waving her hand though else you'll find you get a BING BONG every time she turns in the bed.

Or maybe just a wireless door bell, with the push on her bedside table or whatever, should prevent false alarms from just turning over
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,565
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My elderly parents both have a cheap wireless door chime each.
    They use them to summon their carer within the house if they need the toilet etc.
    Each door chime is set at a different chime.
    They carry them all the time & have them on their bedside tables at night.
    Drives the carers nuts but is a cheap effective solution.
  • Gers
    Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    Or maybe just a wireless door bell, with the push on her bedside table or whatever, should prevent false alarms from just turning over
    My elderly parents both have a cheap wireless door chime each.
    They use them to summon their carer within the house if they need the toilet etc.
    Each door chime is set at a different chime.
    They carry them all the time & have them on their bedside tables at night.
    Drives the carers nuts but is a cheap effective solution.

Like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Doorbell-Waterproof-Cordless-Melodies/dp/B07MVXYF8T/ref=asc_df_B07MVXYF8T/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309857966843&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7387484684280638958&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046939&hvtargid=pla-825047827832&psc=1

good idea - thanks.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,114
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Gers wrote: »
    That's the sort of thing, there are also ones where the receiver [bell] is battery powered, which is what I have. The advantage is it can be in a your pocket if out in the garden for instance
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Gers
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2019 at 11:52AM
    Farway wrote: »
    That's the sort of thing, there are also ones where the receiver [bell] is battery powered, which is what I have. The advantage is it can be in a your pocket if out in the garden for instance

Thanks, I've ordered it. No need for the battery one as DM is in a flat.

We'll both feel a little less anxious overnight now. DM wanted me to buy a bell :eek: wasn't going to do that!! :rotfl:
  • Gers
    Forumite
    The doorbell arrived yesterday and is perfect - thanks so much for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure