Motorbike, Moped and Scooter Insurance Discussion

Comments

• Gordon861
    Gordon861 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just changed my bike for a newer one, £67 to change over including £25 admin fee.

I have complained and they have sent me a cheque for £10 as a gesture of good will, and sent me the info on the Financial Ombudsman Service. So I'm going to cash the cheque and then send the complaint further.

I don't understand how they can charge £10 to do the admin on new business and yet feel they need to charge 2.5x to just change a bike. Surely it should be either less work or almost the same amount?
  • quick question, is it worth getting comprehensive cover for bike insurance or just TPFT? my quotes are about 90 for TPFT and 180 for COMP. usually with my cheap car (£300) I get TPFT but is there any more need to go comp with a £1500 bike?
  • Recently did my husbands motorbike insurance using Martins system and managed to get premium down to £75.17 not bad but then using the system got £30 cashback from the insurer and £30 from Quidco-result!
    So paid a grand total of £15.17. Thanks
  • chriszz
    chriszz Posts: 50 Forumite
    Sorry for the thread revival! I just insured my modified Yamaha R1 with www.bikesure.co.uk. By far the most competitive quote with modifications.
  • SammyS1987
    SammyS1987 Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 March 2010 at 10:07PM
    Hi all, I have a 'friend' who works for $winton Bike insurance, thought I would let you know that if you decline their standard legal cover enough times when you are buying over the phone then it is eventually offered to you for free as insurance companies make money when you use there legal service.

Also if you are buying online and are paying by direct debit, decline legal cover and eventually a tick box will come up offering you it for free.
  • Carole Nash is running two promotions at the moment:

First is a price promise on any like-for-like new insurance quote (call and quote promocode CNL4L)

The other is a £500 voucher book for money off various motorcycle accessories. More info here.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DO you think the legal cover is important with bike insurance? Very few of the quotes seem to inlude it as standard (unlike car insurance). I'm talking about for 125cc bike used for commuting, nothing powerful!
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's included with ebike (and breakdown cover).

The size of your bike isn't that important. Anyone can have an accident.
    In fact smaller bikes are more dangerous IMO as you can't get away from problems so easily.

Anyway, no it's not that cruicial because if you have a valid claim you can employ solicitors on a "no win no fee" basis after the event.
    Some of us prefer to have insurance in place for peace of mind, but the legal industry is set up in such a way that you can now get legal help after the event, so I certainly wouldn't fret about it.

You could also get a standalone policy.
    For example you will get a result if you google for "free legal cover". I believe it's with Adrian Flux or you could pay for a standalone policy for a tenner.
  • SammyS1987 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a 'friend' who works for $winton Bike insurance, thought I would let you know that if you decline their standard legal cover enough times when you are buying over the phone then it is eventually offered to you for free as insurance companies make money when you use there legal service.

Also if you are buying online and are paying by direct debit, decline legal cover and eventually a tick box will come up offering you it for free.

Hi all, can safely say this works...

I went through Quidco to Swinton online site (£27 cash back), then clicked on their special offer of £30 cashback for new online policies, got my quote of £75, then removed Legal cover taking quote down to £50, and refused it each time it popped up. Once i'd got to the end of the acceptance it came up with the box giving it to me for free...:j

So the way things stand, if I get both the cash backs I will have got fully comp motorcycle insurance for -£7... Not too shabby..lol

Even if the cash backs dont work out then it was the best quote for me by about £20, so i was gonna probably go with them anyway. But its always nice to come out ahead...
    2010 Holiday Money fund £2 Coin Jar = £62 :j

Copper and Silver jar = £32 so far in 2010
  • HI there, I have just had a demand from 'aquote' for £26 for 'insurance cancellation charges' they never send a reminder and I insured my bike elsewhere. Now they claim they insured my bike - no documents arrived - has anybody had similar experience with 'aquote' ?
    Four years ago Bennetts pulled the same stunt, I haven't insured with them since
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure