Really confused about grandparents allowance for child care

As a grandparent I only worked 10 years and so won't get the full state pension.

My son says I should take out the grandparents carers allowance, does this mean my son will lose out on pension credits by giving me his allowance?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The person receiving the child benefit needs to be receiving NI years through other means (employment class 1) so they can transfer the NI credits they would receive through child benefit to you.

Is your son employed and paying NI, is he the one receiving the child benefit ?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As a grandparent I only worked 10 years and so won't get the full state pension.

Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

What does it say?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-adults-who-care-for-a-child-under-12-fact-sheet/specified-adult-childcare-credits-fact-sheet
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bo_rai_cho wrote: »

My son says I should take out the grandparents carers allowance, does this mean my son will lose out on pension credits by giving me his allowance?

Is the Child Benefit in your son's name and is he working full time and paying National Insurance?

If yes to both, then he is receiving NI credits from his employment for the same tax years and the Child Benefit credits are being wasted. He could transfer these NI credits to you.

Does he have a wife who is not working, if so then she could use the NI credits. If the Child Benefit is in his wife's name and she is not working then she would loose the pension credits if they were transferred to you.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the child is under 12 and both parents are getting NI through means other than child benefit, such as working and earning enough, then they don't lose anything by giving you the NI credit for the year. I did this for my mum. We sat together at the computer, entered the details, then got a letter confirming she'd been given two years of NI credits, saving her the cost of purchasing those years.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • bo_rai_cho
    bo_rai_cho Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, thanks all for your replies and to answer some questions:

I have read the guidance on the MSE website but was confused about who gains/loses credits.

I have not received any statement yet, I assume this is because I am someway off retirement even though I stopped working.

My sons wife may stop working, so thanks Asghar - I guess I should not transfer them as she might lose them then.

My son is working and a higher rate tax payer
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have not received any statement yet

You need to apply for it - see link in my previous.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bo_rai_cho wrote: »
    Hi, thanks all for your replies and to answer some questions:

I have read the guidance on the MSE website but was confused about who gains/loses credits.

I have not received any statement yet, I assume this is because I am someway off retirement even though I stopped working.

My sons wife may stop working, so thanks Asghar - I guess I should not transfer them as she might lose them then.

My son is working and a higher rate tax payer

Presumably the child benefit is in the mum's name then? It's fine to claim it for the years she has earnt enough to get a full qualifying year. You claim retrospectively so just don't claim any more if the mother stops working.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • beduth
    beduth Posts: 91 Forumite
    I have completed the form required and printed it off signed by myself and daughter. How long do hmrc take to credit me with the N! contribution. Sent it off about a month ago.
  • beduth
    beduth Posts: 91 Forumite
    Kynthia wrote: »
    If the child is under 12 and both parents are getting NI through means other than child benefit, such as working and earning enough, then they don't lose anything by giving you the NI credit for the year. I did this for my mum. We sat together at the computer, entered the details, then got a letter confirming she'd been given two years of NI credits, saving her the cost of purchasing those years.

Hi, how long did it take for them to credit her with the N! contribution?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure