Crash that wasn't your fault tips

Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is enjoying a Monday back at work :(

Last Friday my girlfriend unfortunately had a bump on the way home from work, a man in a left hand drive lorry came across into the right hand lane and went into her car.
Now we want to be prepared for the fact that he will deny all fault, we already have pictures of the crash and also have his driving licence details and also his contact details.
What I would like to know is if their is a way to get footage of the crash? is a contact area available for the highway agency to try and get footage of near by camera, or would we be able to get in contact with the police at all to help get the footage?
If you have any more tips or anything else you believe we should try please let me know
Lee

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Very unlikely to get footage assuming there is actually any at all, very little of the UK road network has cameras covering it.

You've done all you need to and it isn't common for the truck drivers to deny fault in an accident like this due to the blind spots that exist so she should find that the claim procedure is quite straightforward.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Very unlikely to get footage assuming there is actually any at all, very little of the UK road network has cameras covering it.

You've done all you need to and it isn't common for the truck drivers to deny fault in an accident like this due to the blind spots that exist so she should find that the claim procedure is quite straightforward.

I'm not the underwriter, so have little interest in the outcome, however LHD or not, why be driving at the side of a large vehicle for any longer than necessary?
    The claim proceedure itself will be straighforward, who is liable may be more difficult to agree.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    why be driving at the side of a large vehicle for any longer than necessary?
    You're right, you shouldn't. But there's nothing in this thread that suggests that OP's girlfriend did.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    I'm not the underwriter, so have little interest in the outcome, however LHD or not, why be driving at the side of a large vehicle for any longer than necessary?
    The claim proceedure itself will be straighforward, who is liable may be more difficult to agree.

I love this kind of bat !!!! crazy logic that's recently appeared on MSE. It's the same logic as "well, if you own a Beamer, you can afford the repairs yourself".

I never like to sit beside a truck for too long, because of the obvious issues with sight, but truck drivers need to be aware of their surroundings. If the driver is observant, and careful, these accidents don't happen. There are truckers who drive for 30-40 years without a single accident. It's all about knowing what is around you.

But yeah, it's her fault.... for being in his way when he crashed into her.
  • DUTR
    Forumite
    Stoke wrote: »
    I love this kind of bat !!!! crazy logic that's recently appeared on MSE. It's the same logic as "well, if you own a Beamer, you can afford the repairs yourself".

I never like to sit beside a truck for too long, because of the obvious issues with sight, but truck drivers need to be aware of their surroundings. If the driver is observant, and careful, these accidents don't happen. There are truckers who drive for 30-40 years without a single accident. It's all about knowing what is around you.

But yeah, it's her fault.... for being in his way when he crashed into her.

You probably misunderstand what I'm saying... long vehicle... stay behind it or pass it quickly (and then get to a distance that you maybe visible to the driver) , I see people sitting at the side of a high sided long vehicle...to me it's just a danger zone.
    Swap positions with the drivers, the person passing is behind and has the advantage of better visibility.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    You see it every day on the M6, they sit along side the rear tractor wheels of a foreign artic and wonder why they get blindsided.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    You probably misunderstand what I'm saying... long vehicle... stay behind it or pass it quickly (and then get to a distance that you maybe visible to the driver) , I see people sitting at the side of a high sided long vehicle...to me it's just a danger zone.
    Swap positions with the drivers, the person passing is behind and has the advantage of better visibility.

What if you can't pass it? I've attempted to overtake trucks in the past on the motorway only to find some plum in the overtaking lane who is sat there cruising at almost the same speed as the truck. Yes, it's an overtaking lane, push forward and move back in, but they won't.... this leaves me sandwiched beside the truck.

What do I do? Throw myself out of the window? Panic? Slam the brakes on and cause a 12 car pile up? No, I cruise and hope the person in front will eventually get his act together and move slightly further forward. In the meantime, I have to assume the truck driver is taking his responsibilities seriously and decides against running me off the road.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    What if you can't pass it? I've attempted to overtake trucks in the past on the motorway only to find some plum in the overtaking lane who is sat there cruising at almost the same speed as the truck. Yes, it's an overtaking lane, push forward and move back in, but they won't.... this leaves me sandwiched beside the truck.

What do I do? Throw myself out of the window? Panic? Slam the brakes on and cause a 12 car pile up? No, I cruise and hope the person in front will eventually get his act together and move slightly further forward. In the meantime, I have to assume the truck driver is taking his responsibilities seriously and decides against running me off the road.

Don't start to pass the truck until you can get clear of the front end. It's called showing a bit of restraint.

Alternatively pass them in the offside lane of a motorway. Unless there are only two lanes you'll be ok.
  • DUTR
    Forumite

That's assuming the driver of the high long vehicle knows you are there, as mentioned the car driver from behind has the visible advantage. From behind one can see if there is ample room to pass quickly and safely well before attempting the manouver. Only yesterday a cyclist again got killed by a lorry at a junction (one can only imagine the circumstances which may have lead to the incident) .
    For me I'm not going to assume any other driver is aware of my presence and not prepared to put myself in a risky position on the road especially vs a lorry, I know which will win the knock and the car driver may not be around to collect the 2nd prize.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,343
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Don't start to pass the truck until you can get clear of the front end. It's called showing a bit of restraint.

50 mph motorway roadworks with average speed cameras for 10 miles, stuck at side of an artic - or are you suggesting that we all just use 1 lane and follow the artic as you cannot "get your foot down to pass" ?
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport