PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say "hi", I'll have a proper read back when CFO life resumes on Monday:).
    I'm up to my armpits in prepping for dinner for 12 tomorrow:eek:.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say "hi", I'll have a proper read back when CFO life resumes on Monday:).
    I'm up to my armpits in prepping for dinner for 12 tomorrow:eek:.

Rather you than me hun! Hope it all goes well 😁
    Just had a piece of yesterday's frittata, wedges n Heinz curry sauce.Was delish 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    candygirl wrote: »
    Rather you than me hun! Hope it all goes well 😁
    Just had a piece of yesterday's frittata, wedges n Heinz curry sauce.Was delish 😁
    Thankfully I'll I've plenty of helpers on the day:). I'm doing Tex-Mex so some stuff is best done today so the flavours can develop so far Beef Barbaco (Mexican pulled beef) and a Squash & brown lentil chill are made. Pinto & turtle beans have been cooked to make refried beans and the rest will be done tomorrow. It will be bedlam but should be great fun:D
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Dd1 was due to come for tea today, so I nipped out for green beans, already had broccoli, but she doesn't eat that, I put a joint of beef in the oven. Then saw the text saying shed been for a filling, and was feeling awful, with a bad head. I told her to stay home as she has a 45 min drive.So she will come tomorrow , so I've sliced the beef into the gravy, par boiled the pots ready to roast,and the veg is ready to go. I've now invited dd2 with dgson, as they are alone tomorrow too. There should be just enough for 4.

So tea was a gluten free ciabatta roll warm with allioli and rocket,cheese, and gf chicken goujons, with a few chips and extra cheese and allioli on them too!!! Deelish!

Did someone post about cheese sauce done in the microwave? ? I'm back off holiday and saw a mention but although I've read back I can't see the post.:D
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Forumite
    Pub meal scoffed. Utterly .... kn4ckered. I'll nod off in a bit I think.
    :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,282
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The HM soup was delish. I have a huge bowl leftover for lunch today.

I had porridge, almond milk and sliced banana for breakfast, along with rooibos tea.

I'm not sure about dinner yet.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 1:43PM
    Breakfast: scrambled eggs, beans, toast.
    Lunch: 4 digestives.

EDIT:

Later Lunch 2: beans/cheese on toast (bread's dated yesterday; cheese dated yesterday and drying out; beans already opened) - so I went with "easy stuff".
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone

I've had a lot of Greek yoghurt with honey today. The first lot was breakfast with a banana, I went out and when I came back had some more, and I've just had a toasted cheese sandwich followed by another yoghurt. I found a 500g tub at the back of the fridge that is 10 days out of date so I thought I would eat it up today. The only worry is that the fridge temperature is fluctuating so much at the moment. I'm sure I will be ok though :).

Dinner will be a pie and chips from the freezer. I'm finding things that I didn't know were in there.

The cost of a new f/f is a lot to find out what's lurking in the freezer though :(.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    wort wrote: »

Did someone post about cheese sauce done in the microwave? ? I'm back off holiday and saw a mention but although I've read back I can't see the post.:D

I wrote it - and I struggled to find it again myself :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73105360&postcount=1231

That's the white bit - to make it cheese, just have it a bit more watery and add cheese (the cheese thickens it). Too cheesy, add milk.... not cheesy enough, add cheese. Simples.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,120
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    wort wrote: »

Here you go, copyright is PN's

There are no measurements, it is by guess & by God

Cheese sauce in a microwave

Into a bowl, knob of butter. Nuke to melt.
    Add the flour, stir until smooth.
    Add a bit of milk, stir until smooth ... repeat a few times.
    Nuke a bit (30 secs or so), check/stir and stare at it, how's it coming along?
    Add more milk as you decide/require.
    Nuke/stir/look a few more times
    When it "looks about right", lob the grated cheese in, stir.
    Nuke to melt the cheese, stir it ... does it need more cheese or milk? Add if required, stir, nuke.. serve.

It's easier done than it sounds ... it comes down to: You know what's in it... you know how you expect it to look .... so lob the stuff in until it's the right consistency.

Works for me, used it just this week for cauliflower cheese

Nothing in the shops worth getting, so came home empty handed

Lunch was two of the Lild sausage rolls, heated in the mini oven. Sorry but not to my taste, I think I prefer cold ones TBH

Then two slices of marmalade toast. Should have avoided but really fancied it, which is another CFO plus

Dinner really is ???? Lots of choice but may finish up with cheese on toast because I have been collecting crusts and they need eating instead of staring at me when ever I look in the fridge. May go exotic and add a tin of cheapo spaghetti to them, which I know will be another disappointment

Off out along the seafront with the grandchildren tomorrow so a day off CFO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure