Amazon return- Parcel seems to be lost

Need help guys.

I recently bought a laptop on Amazon and well it was faulty so I decided to return. I dropped it off at a Hermes parcel shop as there were no Royal Mail options. Got a receipt and was on my way. I got a notification that the item was picked up by Hermes but after that no update on it's status. It's been 3 weeks so I decided to contact Amazon and they told me they had not received the item meaning they could not refund me the £1700. They asked me to chase it up myself. So I contacted Hermes but it's been 48 hours and not heard from them. I'm beginning to think Hermes has somehow lost it.

What can one do in such a situation? £1700 is a lot of money.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,172 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dr_Hanzo wrote: »
    Need help guys.

I recently bought a laptop on Amazon and well it was faulty so I decided to return. I dropped it off at a Hermes parcel shop as there were no Royal Mail options. Got a receipt and was on my way. I got a notification that the item was picked up by Hermes but after that no update on it's status. It's been 3 weeks so I decided to contact Amazon and they told me they had not received the item meaning they could not refund me the £1700. They asked me to chase it up myself. So I contacted Hermes but it's been 48 hours and not heard from them. I'm beginning to think Hermes has somehow lost it.

What can one do in such a situation? £1700 is a lot of money.

Can you clarify what label you used for a return. Did you open a proper return for a faulty item and use the label that Amazon gave you? if so phone them again and point out that you have proof of posting using their label and are covered under their terms and conditions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Yes I can clarify I opened a return and printed the appropiate label provided by Amazon.
  • Well after contacting Amazon again they wanted me to show them a picture of the receipt I received when I dropped off the item. Did as such but they are still telling me to contact the carrier, refusing to refund until they have the item.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    So Amazon provided the returns label? If yes then the liability is with Amazon as they engaged the courier.
  • It's amazing how many expensive laptops get "returned" or "not arrive" this time of year....
  • DoaM wrote: »
    So Amazon provided the returns label? If yes then the liability is with Amazon as they engaged the courier.

Yes they provided the label but don't seem to want to refund after 3 weeks has passed. I told them I am no longer liable for the item and provided ample proof that it's with the courier but Amazon still refuse to refund and insist I chase it up with Hermes myself.
  • It's amazing how many expensive laptops get "returned" or "not arrive" this time of year....

It must be almost as high as the number of posters who like to insinuate that the person asking for help is up to no good without having any proof whatsoever.
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you paid by credit card you could ask your credit card provider to step in and help you. I think it's called a section 75. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases/
    Alternatively, I think you can also ask your bank to step in if you used your debit card, I think this is a chargeback https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/
    Good Luck.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds

Well the issue I have is that the courier (Hermes) has picked up the item but in 21 days the item hasn't been returned to Amazon. Amazon want me to be the one chasing it up with Hermes when I'm not liable for the item anymore.

On returning expensive laptops. Well a lot of them have poor quality control, the one I returned had dead speakers out the box. I bought a new more expensive laptop and this one doesn't sit level on a flat surface, it wobbles around which when you pay close to £2k is unacceptable.

fannyadams wrote: »
    If you paid by credit card you could ask your credit card provider to step in and help you. I think it's called a section 75.
    Alternatively, I think you can also ask your bank to step in if you used your debit card, I think this is a chargeback
    Good Luck.

Thanks for this much appreciated. I paid by Credit Card so will most likely go down the section 75 route.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure