Urgent question

Options
My husband bought something in a well known high street store with a family friend who works there. The family friend offered to provide his staff discount for the purchase and his name (as a staff member) is on the receipt.

However, my husband paid the total due using his debit card which is present on the receipt and equally visible in our bank statements.

The issue is that the family friend has gone awol and the purchased item has developed a fault and needs to be refunded or exchanged. We have the receipt, the funds came from our bank, so we are the sole owners? Regardless of the staff discount applied?

Do the circumstances affect statutory rights?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure of your contractual position but if you try to exercise your consumer rights you may very well cause problems for your friend. Abusing the staff discount facility is probably a disciplinary offence.
  • ampan_2
    Options
    The family friend left the position and fell off the radar entirely so there are no consequences for him. It’s merely a matter of trying to establish that a refund or repair won’t be refused on the grounds that the ex staff member’s name is on the receipt.

I would have thought it wouldn’t hold much bearing simply due to my husband’s card and our bank statements that prove the purchase was made by him monetarily.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Well you can only try, then. Someone with more retail law knowledge than me may come along with a definitive answer. I wonder if they might say that the contract is void because it was made under false representation or something like that. You'll have to see what they say and suck it up if they're entitled to reject your claim. Either that, or track down your friend and ask him to exercise his consumer rights if he's the one entitled to them.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How long ago was the purchase made? More or less than 6 months?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure