Mis-sold surf holiday?

I recently booked accommodation through surfholidays.com, following a phone call where I clearly stated that I would be travelling alone. He recommended to me a specific location, which I pursued and used the platform to "chat" directly with the host before booking.

When I arrived I discovered I was in a beach house, completely by myself, with no facilities to lock doors. When I contacted the owner she eventually told me that no-one else would be arriving while I was there. After two days I couldn't bear the isolation and felt at risk of robbery or violence at night, so decided to go home.

So I spent ~£1600 on booked flights and the extra flight to get me home as my return flight ticket wasn't valid for an early departure. The owner charged me for the nights I stayed and airport transfer.

I have informally complained to the holiday company who have refunded the deposit (~£200) with an apology. I maintain he mis-sold the holiday but upon further discussion he declines to accept culpability (specifically with regard to further financial recompense) - do I have any redress?

Thank you

Comments

• I recently booked accommodation through surfholidays.com, following a phone call where I clearly stated that I would be travelling alone. He recommended to me a specific location, which I pursued and used the platform to "chat" directly with the host before booking.

When I arrived I discovered I was in a beach house, completely by myself, with no facilities to lock doors. When I contacted the owner she eventually told me that no-one else would be arriving while I was there. After two days I couldn't bear the isolation and felt at risk of robbery or violence at night, so decided to go home.

So I spent ~£1600 on booked flights and the extra flight to get me home as my return flight ticket wasn't valid for an early departure. The owner charged me for the nights I stayed and airport transfer.

I have informally complained to the holiday company who have refunded the deposit (~£200) with an apology. I maintain he mis-sold the holiday but upon further discussion he declines to accept culpability (specifically with regard to further financial recompense) - do I have any redress?

Thank you
    I don't get it. Why do you think it was mis-sold? Did you specify that you wanted to share accommodation with other people?

What are you actually after? A complete refund of all your costs?
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What did you believe you were booking and what did they say that meant it wasn't a beach house by yourself?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Even if it was a shared beach house there was no guarantee that there would be any other guests for the time of your booking so can't really see what they've done wrong
  • The other guests could have been creepy and just as bad as being alone.
    Your fault for not asking more questions and checking the booking. Can't see them forcing you to buy it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure