special disabled day out rates.

Comments

• how1
    how1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Hi, once a year, about February, you will get a letter confirming your DLA entitlement for the coming year. I show that when I can't show my blue badge, as it is always current.

It is also worth getting a disabled bus pass, even if you don't use publis transport, as it has your photo and clearly states that you are disabled - it is also small enough to keep in your purse or wallet.

What a good idea about the bus pass - thank you.
  • Paignton Zoo & Living Coasts in Torquay (I guess you could call it a penguin zoo more or less) has a discounted rate for disabled and free carer. You need to provide them with proof of disability (I used DLA Award letter).

Flambards in cornwall have reduced rates as does the Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay.

Tesco vouchers state that they are not to be used in conjunction with any other offers and apparently that also means disabled concessions!
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    johnwayne wrote: »

Tesco vouchers state that they are not to be used in conjunction with any other offers and apparently that also means disabled concessions!

What!? I can feel a campaign coming on!!
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • What!? I can feel a campaign coming on!!

I know!

When we went to Flambards they initially refused to accept the vouchers for the reduced rates. Then I complained and said that it was discrimination. The lady was none too pleased but she did allow me to pay with the vouchers.

When we went to the Blue Reef Aquarium they flatly refused and said that they were allowing us to get in at a highly reduced rate through tescos anyway so there was no way they would reduce it.

Apparently being disabled is an "offer"!!! :confused:

In my opinion they need to get this sorted!
  • blue_mum
    blue_mum Posts: 162 Forumite
    Hi Just wanted to check, are all of the conessions only for people in receipt of higher DLA? We receive middle rate with lower rate mobility for my son. Not sure if we would be allowed these rates with this.
    :beer:
  • blue_mum wrote: »
    Hi Just wanted to check, are all of the conessions only for people in receipt of higher DLA? We receive middle rate with lower rate mobility for my son. Not sure if we would be allowed these rates with this.

As far as I am aware the rates are available to all rates of DLA. My son has middle rate care and he has been able to get these concessions. I also go in as his carer.

Hope this helps
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    johnwayne wrote: »

Just to mention that we have successfully paid for concession (disabled and OAP) tickets at The National Space Centre and two different Sea Life Centres with Tesco vouchers in the last 12 months, so it's hopefully just the two places mentioned earlier that are rejecting them.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Melc234
    Melc234 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Went to blackpool zoo yesterday used tesco vouchers, got disabled entry reduction and 2 carers price.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    calleyw wrote: »
    I have often thought this myself. But for things like zoo's and parks etc my husband needs to be a wheelchair as it is just to far for him to walk.

Yours

Calley

I actually photocopy both sides of my blue badge. Chessington etc.. like to see the photo side as well to check the person using the concession is the person entitled to it.

I have also used Tesco vouchers with the disabled concession at chessington & longleat so it can be done.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • Hi, I just wondered, has anyone with an invisible disability, such as mental illness, been able to get the disabled admission and special entrance to rides at Alton Towers. Myself and two friends, all of whom are on high rate care dla and low rate mobility would like to go there, but for two of us, standing in queues would be nigh on impossible. That's not a scam to get to the front of the queue I promise. I personally get very nervous being stuck in a crowd and last time I went to a theme park I ended up just sitting and watching my friends have a good time because I couldn't cope with it. On their website it says we'd need to apply before we went. I'm not sure how much of an explanation to give them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure