What is Barclays Bank Base Rate?

Comments

• chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    If you are concerned go elswhere as has been said Nationwide lifetime tracker is hard to beat no fees but a five year tie in.
  • Caro75
    Caro75 Posts: 255 Forumite
    I, too, am on the same BBBR+0.18% tracker mortage from Woolwich/Barclays. However I've been paying the same this month (amount taken on 15th of January) as previous months, despite the fact that the BBBR should have decreased to 5.5% on the 1st of January (according to dangers above). Any idea why this is the case? Will I get the cheaper payment next month only?
    "Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing."
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Caro75,

I've been trying to contact Barclays on this all morning as I too had exactly the same payment go out on the 16th Jan as I did on the 16th Dec. Unfortunately as I have not been able to get through, I can't answer your question but hope somebody has been successful and can provide a response.

Floxxie.
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • mfhstid
    mfhstid Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Same here: I'm on BBBR+0.17, but my payment this month is the same as last.

Woolwich website currently shows BBBR as 5.5%, so not sure what's going on here.
  • My understanding is that the amount of interest you are paying will change as soon as BBBR changes, but they only review the payments you make automatically once a year (in May I think). If you do nothing, and BBBR has come down, then in May they will automatically lower your payments.
    Alternatively you can ask them to alter your payments before May.

I suppose this is to simplify things, so that if there are 3 consecutive rate changes, you don't pay different payments for 3 months.

In the mean time if you don't change your payments at least you're overpaying your mortgage!
  • Floxxie
    My mortgage offer states that:

"Changes in the Base Rate made during the month will take effect from the 1st of the following month"

therefore I would expect my payment to be reduced accordingly as the rate change took effect 7th December.
  • Floxxie
    Sorry forgot to add that there is nothing in there about not reducing payments on a rate change or only doing so once a year.

I guess I shall have to wait for my monthly statement to see what interest rate is beign charged.

Floxxie
  • 02skn
    02skn Posts: 48 Forumite
    mfhstid wrote: »
    Same here: I'm on BBBR+0.17, but my payment this month is the same as last.

Woolwich website currently shows BBBR as 5.5%, so not sure what's going on here.
    If you look at the mortgage statement they sent you in September it tells you on the back that rates are reviewed once a year in September. I rang the mortgage line to enquire about the recent cut and the nice man said you will only see a change in your monthly payment once a year. If you would like your payment amended you have to ring their 8p per minute line and ask. Not really a Tracker is it!.
  • Floxxie
    Ok, found the wording on my October annual statement:

"If you have a variable rate repayment mortgage your repayments are reviewed once a year in accordance with your terms and conditions. This review will take into account changes to Barclays Bank Base Rate (BBBR) and Woolwich Standard Variable Rate, whicih are affected by changes in the Bank of England base rate. Since your last mortgage statement the Bank of England has increased its base rate by 1%. Your revised payment reflects all interest rate changes over the last 12 months and will be applied to your mortgage account (s) in November 2007."
  • 02skn
    02skn Posts: 48 Forumite
    Floxxie wrote: »
    Ok, found the wording on my October annual statement:

"If you have a variable rate repayment mortgage your repayments are reviewed once a year in accordance with your terms and conditions. This review will take into account changes to Barclays Bank Base Rate (BBBR) and Woolwich Standard Variable Rate, whicih are affected by changes in the Bank of England base rate. Since your last mortgage statement the Bank of England has increased its base rate by 1%. Your revised payment reflects all interest rate changes over the last 12 months and will be applied to your mortgage account (s) in November 2007."
    I'am sure they never explained when signing for the mortgage that it would track yearly. Bit of a con really. Thinking of moving as even making overpayments has been a nightmare. Decision is who to go with next without incurring large costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure