The Range

When this store started their Christmas displays in October I purchased an advent calendar which was battery operated. Silly me did not test at that time. Also at another visit I also purchased a christmas 'scene' also battery operated. Fast forward to last weekend, and neither item worked.
Returned to store and was told that each item and/or its box, had a small sticker to say returns were only valid for 14 days from the date of purchase, even if, they pointed out, the items were faulty. It took a full 'hissy fit' and the Manager to exchange my goods to get me out of the store!!.

However, that evening, second attempt produced, one item still did not work,and the other did not even have an on/off switch on the battery compartment. So back again for a refund.

Having had a previous experience with this company, having paid £150 for a large Christmas item 2 years ago and them refusing to replace or refund, 3 weeks later - in a new year as they pointed out) because the item had now developed a fault and me no longer able to find the receipt, I know I should have known better, but where I live there is not an abundance of retail stores.

I have now learned my lesson, but out of interest am I right in thinking that their 14 day return sticker was useless, especially as it contravened the law? They were adamant that they could make and stick to any policy on refunds/returns they wanted.

I did feel quite unwell after my hissy fit and think that I should not have had to resort to that to get my rights.

Comments

• When this store started their Christmas displays in October I purchased an advent calendar which was battery operated. Silly me did not test at that time. Also at another visit I also purchased a christmas 'scene' also battery operated. Fast forward to last weekend, and neither item worked.
    Returned to store and was told that each item and/or its box, had a small sticker to say returns were only valid for 14 days from the date of purchase, even if, they pointed out, the items were faulty. It took a full 'hissy fit' and the Manager to exchange my goods to get me out of the store!!.

However, that evening, second attempt produced, one item still did not work,and the other did not even have an on/off switch on the battery compartment. So back again for a refund.

Having had a previous experience with this company, having paid £150 for a large Christmas item 2 years ago and them refusing to replace or refund, 3 weeks later - in a new year as they pointed out) because the item had now developed a fault and me no longer able to find the receipt, I know I should have known better, but where I live there is not an abundance of retail stores.

I have now learned my lesson, but out of interest am I right in thinking that their 14 day return sticker was useless, especially as it contravened the law? They were adamant that they could make and stick to any policy on refunds/returns they wanted.

I did feel quite unwell after my hissy fit and think that I should not have had to resort to that to get my rights.

There is no automtic right for a change of mind return to store - So they can set their own policies if they wish.

This does not include faulty goods though.

There are ways of dealing with things, without making a fool of yourself by throwing a "full hissy fit".
  • Perhaps they saw you coming?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Thank you for your replies, it was because of both items being faulty, not a change of mind.

Yes, of course I realise there are 'other' ways of dealing with these matters, but when you are constantly being blocked with 'it is store policy' 'nothing we can do', 'it does not matter what the Law says' etc. etc. and then being left standing there whilst the assistant deals with other customers also returning faulty goods (purchased within the last day or two) requesting the Manager and being told 'she will only tell you the same, she cannot change store Policy', at that time I could not think of 'another way of dealing with things'!! whatever that might be. I was being 'fobbed off' and at that time I was perfectly well mannered and polite!!, but I do not take well to being ignored when I know I have Consumer Rights on my side.

Still all is well, replacements that work have arrived from Amazon today, and The Range has lost a good customer.

Again, thanks for your replies.
    '
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you for your replies, it was because of both items being faulty, not a change of mind.

Yes, of course I realise there are 'other' ways of dealing with these matters, but when you are constantly being blocked with 'it is store policy' 'nothing we can do', 'it does not matter what the Law says' etc. etc. and then being left standing there whilst the assistant deals with other customers also returning faulty goods (purchased within the last day or two) requesting the Manager and being told 'she will only tell you the same, she cannot change store Policy', at that time I could not think of 'another way of dealing with things'!! whatever that might be. I was being 'fobbed off' and at that time I was perfectly well mannered and polite!!, but I do not take well to being ignored when I know I have Consumer Rights on my side.

Still all is well, replacements that work have arrived from Amazon today, and The Range has lost a [STRIKE]good [/STRIKE]customer.

Again, thanks for your replies.
    '
    Fixed that for you.
  • Snowedunder
    Snowedunder Posts: 200 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2019 at 9:22PM
    Erm ? not quite sure if the strike out and your comment are meant the way I am taking it - being a glass half full kind of person and not given to sarcasm I will take this as meaning to be humerous?

If visiting a store most weeks and making quite a few purchases does NOT make me a previously good customer, and complaining when they refuse to replace faulty goods means that I am no longer a good customer, then I guess you are right - and I should no longer use the adjective 'good'. Perhaps I should therefore say, they are now going to lose income that I used to spend there because of their attitude to me, and I am a 'bad' person for complaining about faulty goods.

You know what, it is meant to be a happy season, but I do not feel that I should come on to a forum and then be ridiculed by strangers.

Aylesbury D...I do not know you and you certainly do not know me, so insults are just not becoming, and on that note I will wish all genuine posters a Merry Christmas and you will have to find someone else who is looking for help to insult and ridicule.
  • It took a full 'hissy fit' and the Manager to exchange my goods to get me out of the store!!.

I may not know you. I've drawn a conclusion from your own description of your behaviour. No insult implied but I'm not surprised it was inferred.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure