Gift Vouchers Posted but not received

Hello

My wife recently bought 4 x Afternoon Tea Vouchers from a local hotel for £ 68.00 She was offered at an additional cost of £ 7 to have these sent recorded delivery but declined but she was told they would be sent out first class - this was over a week ago and nothing has arrived and the Hotel have basically said " tough" which I find very odd. When I rung them they were incredibly rude and offered no sympathy for our position so I thought I needed to crack on asap - if they had said lets hang on a few days and see what happens and I'm sure we can sort something out I would have held back but it was a plain "tough"

A quick look around the web and I discovered that Trading Standards Law states that Failure to deliver within a reasonable time is a breach under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 also, more importantly :

Loss or damage in transit

If the trader arranges for goods to be delivered to a consumer, the goods remain at the trader’s risk until delivery. It is, therefore, the trader’s responsibility to ensure that goods are not lost or damaged in transit, and/or to take out appropriate insurance. It follows that optional postal insurance should never be offered to consumers.

Although the hotel said we should have taken up their offer of additional postage it looks like they shouldn't have done that as legally it is their responsibility to ensure the good arrive safely

I have emailed them requesting they either send out new vouchers ( I even offered to collect them) or a full refund based on the legal information i have which I have quoted them or I will pursue them in the Small Claims Court for the £ 68 plus costs but have not yet had a response

Fortunately we are in a financial position to "loose" £ 68 with no impact on our day to day life but it is the principle .

I just wanted to check before I go any further that my information about the law is correct and if not what is correct .

Many many thanks in advance

M

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills