Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Comments

• ...which is still a hell of a lot quicker than the other route, yet people are still moaning like the world has ended.

You may well be rich but other people might be relying on this money before they can even think about booking another holiday.
  • You may well be rich but other people might be relying on this money before they can even think about booking another holiday.

True, lest we forget under the old process EVERYONE would be waiting up to 60 days.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,028
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Anyone got anything back yet who applied via the ATOL refund page?
  • prm1
    prm1 Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Anyone got anything back yet who applied via the ATOL refund page?

From the lack of replies to this it would seem not.

It appears that the refund system is not as good as it could have been. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a little bewildered by the lack of information/detail following the completion of the online refund form. Although a claim reference number is displayed on screen on completion of the claim it would have seemed sensible to send an automated reply to the claimants' email address.

As there were issues with systems crashing on the first day the refund form was enabled online, I'm sure I was not the only one that was concerned as to whether the claim had been successfully lodged. A subsequent call a week later was time wasted as the only confirmation I was given was that it was like "a valid claim number" though no confirmation could be given as to whether it was actually in their system.

The lack of information from the CAA is certainly a concern. Hopefully all will be well ... but we just don't know!
  • bobblebob
    Forumite
    If you try and make a 2nd claim using the same Thomas Cook booking reference, you get a message on screen saying this reference has a claim against it. Or something to that effect. So that tells me they have it
  • prm1
    prm1 Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bobblebob wrote: »
    If you try and make a 2nd claim using the same Thomas Cook booking reference, you get a message on screen saying this reference has a claim against it. Or something to that effect. So that tells me they have it

More than one way to skin a cat then!! Thanks for this ... it shouldn't be necessary to have to do it though.

I wonder how many CAA helpline staff are being plagued with the same questions I had when a simple autoreply to the original claim would have alleviated concerns.
  • bobblebob
    Forumite
    prm1 wrote: »
    More than one way to skin a cat then!! Thanks for this ... it shouldn't be necessary to have to do it though.

I wonder how many CAA helpline staff are being plagued with the same questions I had when a simple autoreply to the original claim would have alleviated concerns.

Yea would have been a lot easier. When I applied for my Ethiopian e-visa, you fill all your details in, make the payment online but receive nothing back. So again you have no idea if they have your application or just taken your money
  • hufc2002
    hufc2002 Posts: 312
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I received an email back later in the day (from CEGA) acknowledging that they had received my claim and that they would contact me if they require any further information. I assume they will require proof of monies paid i.e. receipts however they haven't yet been back in touch (claim was submitted 07/10).
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    So I had two flight-only bookings to the US for next year. One with American Express has been refunded already - was a very straight forward process. The other with Barclaycard has been rejected and they've told me to go make a claim about ATOL. Just waited on the phone for an hour to get their disputes team to reopen it and READ the form, letter and receipts I sent them. How frustrating!

For anybody needing to deal with the Barclaycard disputes team, call them on 0800 161 5291, open 7 am till 11 pm.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Still waiting for my refund from MBNA credit card, who said the chargeback would take 10 days ( 3 weeks ago!) :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family