Family of 4, paying back £50k in 4 years whilst trying to live eco friendly

Hi Everyone!

I haven’t been on here for the longest time. Life has changed so much! So basics, myself and OH run a business, so are both self employed, we need to pay back £50k in just under 4 years so that we can get a mortgage and buy the house we are renting. I have two beautiful children nicknamed May and Roo who are 6 and 8.

Ok so, I have already got/ordered all Xmas presents so that’s all done. I literally had my sustainable light bulb moment yesterday so much of the toys are plastic etc, but a lot are second hand books which I’m happy with.

I’m struggling debt wise, as I seem to rob Peter to pay Paul and the debt isn’t going down. I need to stop this from happening. I am in the process of having a huuuuge declutter, there is so much in this house that needs to go. Old toys and clothes I have donated to the charity shop today but I still have lots more to do. I need to eBay so much stuff and I know this is the time to sell. I just need to get myself motivated!

I need to retrain my brain and stop buying things on Amazon! Literally as soon as I think of something I’m buying it!!! I don’t need more stuff! I want plenty. And if I need it that much I’m sure I can find it second hand somewhere.... I’m trying to shop better too, although this is a huge struggle on a budget. I’m trying to reduce my plastic use. I shop at Lidl mostly but most things in Lidl, Tesco and Sainsbury’s especially value ranges are in plastic packaging! So this is my on going challenge.

So if you’d like to join me on my debt free sustainable challenge I’d love to have you along.

Much love

Missy

Comments

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2019 at 2:06PM
    On so here are ways I am trying to cut down on plastic but also save money and stick to a good budget.

Roo has a packed lunch as May is still on free school meals. I have been giving Roo, cereal bars, chocolate biscuits yoghurt straws and blueberries. All of which come in non recycle-able wrappers! I’m going to use up what we have and then start baking I think. I can buy oats in paper bags so I can make flapjacks instead of cereal bars, I can make cakes instead of chocolate biscuits, yoghurts I’m really not sure. Any ideas? And fruit I will try and get seasonal unpackaged like satsumas or apples as opposed to expensive prepackaged stuff.

I’ve also been buying pre packaged oats in the sachets. But they’re not recycle-able as they have plastic in the paper. They’re more expensive too, I’ve just been lazy! Mayonnaise and sauces I will buy in glass jars rather than plastic and I will stop buying cereal and pre packaged veg. Milk is also another issue, I’m vegan so can buy cartons but ordinary whole milk is different. I’m wondering about a milkman? I’ve also wondered about veg box schemes, but these things are expensive. I would love to only spend £50 a week on food but we shall see!

I’m going to have a look at greener cleaning products and washing powder etc and stop buying cat food pouches and buy tins which will save us a lot of money too hopefully!

When I think of more things or if you have any tips id be grateful!
  • Dottles1
    Dottles1 Posts: 494
    Forumite
    Welcome Missy, I too am trying to cut down n plastic and generally be greener where I can. It's not always easy especially when trying to be frugal alongside. I buy fruit & veg mostly from the local greengrocer (less miles) and loose as I live alone I can buy one or two carrots at a time if needed. I tried using a soap bar but couldn't get away with it so I use small amounts of shampoo and conditioner at each wash and a bottle will last me a good 8 months or so. Different for you with a family though.
    I buy oats in paper bags and sometimes make my own granola which is delicious but very more-ish and mostly cook from scratch. I find that a batch cooking day or even doubling up when I cook allows me to put some meals aside in the freezer and so every few weeks I don't need to spend much on food. I made a big pan of veg and lentil soup on Sunday which will give me a couple of lunches plus at least 2/3 portions for the freezer. Every week I use veg left in the fridge for soup or a casserole or curry to cut down on waste.
    £50 per month is not a lot for 4 of you but who knows, I'll be watching wit fingers crossed.
    Good luck, I'll be dropping by from time to time
    CC1 Aug19 [STRIKE]£7587.85[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    CC2 Aug 19 [STRIKE]£1185.58[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    CC3 Aug 19 [STRIKE]£544.95[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    O/D Aug [STRIKE]£20[/STRIKE] Sept [STRIKE] £100[/STRIKE] Oct £0
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
    Total debt Aug 2019[STRIKE]£9318.38[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Lovely to see you again :D been wondering how you all are.

I can't really help on the plastic side of things as my budget is very tight so unfortunately cheapest is what I get. However all 3 of mine have pack lunches. I bake flapjacks/biscuits/buns etc for the sweet treat. I buy the baking bag of sultanas and then measure out into a little tub they reuse everyday.

Yogurt if you can find the big tubs cheap enough then decant into smaller tubs they use everyday might cut down on plastic? I did notice some of the bigger tubs are easier to recycle than the small pots.

For your packaged oats if it's the convenience that appeals why not make your own? Buy the larger pack and then make a few smaller amounts up at once? X
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Trying to reduce single use plastic here too. Lidl had porridge oats in a bag I think but Aldi's is in plastic.
    I've only just started making porridge again from scratch and had relied on the sachet ones for the last few winters. I got so cross with myself the other day when I remembered just how really easy is was to make a batch of porridge in the microwave!
    Wishing you well with your new diary.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    Hey wannabe! So lovely to see you too! Good thinking about the yoghurt I may do that. I think you can make it in the slow cooker too...
    hi Dottles thanks for stopping by. My bad I meant £50 a week as opposed to a month! And hey lucky lady! It’s hard isn’t it! I’m so cross with myself too! Why am I spending £1 on about 300g of porridge when I can get a 1kg paper bag of it in Lidl for 75p!!!! I’m finding shopping around and looking for less waste options some things are working out cheaper. Like broccoli and satsumas, which is a bonus.
  • Hi Missy,
    I used to live “off grid” so as I had to deal with all of my own waste products, it made me very environmentally aware.
    I would never buy anything that came with packaging when there was an alternative available, eg fruit in a punnet vs loose. So rather than fresh blueberries (all those tiny plastic boxes and the thousands of air miles), I would buy frozen.
    If you have a local version of a Holland and Barratt style shop, they may sell products in more eco friendly packaging, and may offer refills of cleaning products, toiletries etc.
    Composting is great for food waste.
    I’ll let you know if I can think of any other advice. Good luck on your journey!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6086606/debt-free-by-23/p1

True LBM, December 2019 = £32934. Current Debt = £12762. 1% Challenge = 61.1%. #51 3-6 Month EF Challenge = £1200/£6000

• Oh, the yoghurt. Have you seen a yoghurt maker? I have one that slowly heats the milk in little reusable glass jars. I’ve only ever had success with plain yoghurt in mine, so you might need to add some honey or fruit compote or something for the kids if they are a bit fussy. But they make really nice yoghurt

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6086606/debt-free-by-23/p1

True LBM, December 2019 = £32934. Current Debt = £12762. 1% Challenge = 61.1%. #51 3-6 Month EF Challenge = £1200/£6000

• Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,657
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hello Missy - based on a recommendation on these boards I signed up for a free trial of Smol laundry detergent. The packaging is recyclable and it washes very well. Have a look at their website and see what you think.
  • Hello! Just wanted to say hi and I'm also trying to do my best to make better choices for the environment while sticking to a budget with a family - its hard! You've had lots of good advice already. I'll be following along, good luck!
    Nov 2019 Debt: £121,000 :coffee: Now: £115,859 :)
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    Midshollie, I’m thinking making yoghurt may be the way to go! Blackcats ill have a look thanks, I looked before Juarez because they were free but it’s a subscription thing isn’t it and I’d obv forget to cancel it!
    Looking at loo roll at the moment, do you know a lot of loo roll comes from China!!! Have found a local company but again, it’s not cheap! Need to find some local honey.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback