PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    It really does depend on the process Littlebobo and what happens with the other people in the chain - a lot of people have been much quicker than us! We accepted an offer from someone who had to sell their house, which took a couple of weeks, then another couple of weeks for us to find a new house to buy. Then three months of faffing with our mortgage (our new house has land, which caused all manner of trouble), during which time everyone else was ready - and then right at the last minute our buyers' buyer pulled out so we've had to wait for them to find a new one and now they've got to catch up with the rest of us...

We'll get there, and so will you. It's just impossible to control the process!
  • Been to the solicitor's today to sign all of the paperwork and pay her the deposit. Bit of an anti-climax really. Everything signed and ready for exchange. I thought we'd agreed Thursday but she kept saying "this week" so I guess there's not a set date anymore?
    Completion is definitely agreed for 14th though, she said that wont change.

Turns out not only are the solicitor fees a bit less than expected, but I think I forgot about the interest on my H2B ISA as well as the bonus when I was working stuff out. The amount we needed to pay today was quite a lot less than we expected, meaning we now have more than expected for improvements!

...like installing central heating maybe...
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Congratulations to all of you exchanging and completing! It's amazing to see someone making it :)

Today I fired off to the broker all of the paperwork for the mortgage...fingers crossed the lender likes me enough (and then likes the property too), cause they're the only ones that would lend me enough to allow me to buy this property. Now I'm off to instruct the surveyor, so another fingers crossed.
    And should I worry my solicitor has been silent for the last 24h?! What are they supposed to do after I formally instruct them? (control freak coming in 3, 2, 1...)
    GC £~~/300
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    That's a nice surprise Claire! :j :j
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Aliliva only get worried if your sol goes silent for a week or more. And it still doesn't mean there's a problem, they'll be batting stuff back between solicitors for a bit. By email if you're lucky, otherwise by post!

Less money Claire, result! We got stung by a cable provider disconnection charge today to the tune of £240. I wouldn't mind but it was my PREVIOUS EMPLOYER and the only reason we're disconnecting is cos THEY can't provide services at new house. Cheek of it!

Cheery Daff I'm gonna keep checking in til you and the gang are in.
  • Pumpkim
    Pumpkim Posts: 214 Forumite
    3 more sleeps to completion:j

Dreading cold icy weather on Friday, our current house is set up a hill above the road so access isn't the best for removals in the first place :eek:

Bad news on the disconnection JoJo, we're taking our provider with us for a fairly hefty discount after ringing to disconnect :D and they're going to have us up and running on Saturday. It could've been Friday but we obviously don't know what time we'll get in .

Got Thursday off to finish packing and cleaning. We're almost there :T
  • How exciting pumpkin :j
    Our exchange & competition on Friday won’t be happening :( our buyers solicitor has come back with another load of inquiry’s at 5pm tonight, I want to cry!
    Please send exchange vibes my way please as our vendor has said we can move boxes in from exchange & I’ve got my brother here to help this week. Today I feel so deflated. I hope everyone else is having better luck
  • Was supposed to get exchange/completion dates today - but my vendors are still waiting on enquiries for their onward purchase. Considering everyone wants to be in by Christmas you'd think everyone would get a move on.

Going in tomorrow to sign stuff - not sure what as I've already signed the deeds - but hopefully this means Im ready at least. My sol asked if I was ok for housing over Christmas and to pay both rent and mortgage- but I've read enough here that I'm not giving notice until I've exchanged. Even if it means a nasty overlap.

Such a rollercoaster of will I won't I be in for Christmas- it's really quite stressful :-(
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Positive vibes to everyone feeling deflated today x
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Don't give up folks.
    We complete today! Currently camped in a friends granny annex with a sedated cat that managed to get stuck in the sofa bed. I had to crawl under whilst DH lifted it, very Victorian mill!
    We were SSTC at beginning of August, chain of 3 properties .
    Officially in a clique of idiots
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure