Boots can't figure out what's wrong with my glasses

I've been wearing glasses for years, and recently felt I needed a new prescription (headaches, difficulty focusing, fatigue). Went to Boots for an eye test, did all the usual tests, got a new prescription.

Sent off to have some old, well fitting frames reglazed and cleaned up. New lenses are hopeless. Can't focus on stuff beyond arm's length. Went back to Boots, they checked and the lenses are correct, pupil distance is correct (re-measured), couldn't find a thing wrong.

Did another eye test, same result as before. I compared the goggles they use during the test to the glasses, and despite supposedly being the same I could see an obvious difference. But Boots can't figure it out, as far as they can tell the lenses match the prescription which matches the goggles.

Any suggestions on how I can handle this? I could complain to Boots perhaps but I really just want to get the right glasses. Any ideas why the measurements they did would not find what the problem is?

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Are they varifocal lenses or bifocal? Sometimes the gradation between the Reading and mid distance lens is in the wrong place which makes it hard to focus on either. Or the frame is too small for varifocal lenses.

If they are mono, this won't apply of course.
  • Thanks Nicki. They are monos.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Could they have the lenses in the wrong eyes? Astigmatism at the wrong angle? How big a change was it from your old glasses, and do you still have a second pair with the old presecirption to compare the lenses with?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • tidus
    tidus Posts: 331
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can't see beyond arms length, so are they reading glasses or distance glasses? How old are you?
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My monies on Late 40's and old specs were undercorrected for distnace hence providing near comfort.

If so either varies or return to old rx
  • elliemoo
    elliemoo Posts: 4,593
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I got specs from Boots 2 years ago. They were a disaster from the minute I put them on. Again lenses didn't seem to match the script but were supposedly fine. My script changes very little each time, I am shortsighted with aastigmatism but nothing drastic.

It went on for months back and forth, eventually I just had to go elsewhere and get new ones and no bother with them. I was really disappointed in the whole experience with Boots.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does you prescription say reading/intermediate/distance?

What values do you have for Sphere (SPH) and Add on the prescription?

Do you have the values from previous prescription too?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Are the lenses centred properly? They might be fine horizontally but wrong vertically. Heights should be measured from the bottom of the lens to the centre of the pupil but often isn't done for single vision dispenses and a lot of optical assistants would fire the glasses under an auto-focimeter and see that the PD is the same without actually looking at the differences in the vertical height.

Have you see the shops dispensing optician for their input?
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Go for a free eye test somewhere else and check the prescription.
    Send off for a pair of cheap online glasses with the new prescription and see if they work

If either of the above gives different results to Boots you can perhaps get a refund?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I wonder whether it's a case of your brain being unable to cope with the prescription change:

I have worn glasses since a child, but after a prescription change in my late forties , I found that I was ducking away from kitchen wall cupboards that I was about to knock my head on. This was an optical illusion.

I used Specsavers, at the time, and was told that my brain couldn't cope with the lens strength for my left eye, so they downgraded it.

The next prescription was done according to the test results with I had no problem and there has been no further incidence, after twenty years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure