PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do You Ever Eat Out and Wish You Hadn't Bothered?

Options

Comments

• Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pandora123 wrote:
    We rarely eat out because I love cooking and vegan food in restaurants is usually far less than inspiring. An exception is a wonderful vegetarian Chinese Buddhist restaurant in Milton Keynes; if we lived close we'd be regulars there!

:A

I used to walk past that place every day on the way to and from work and always wondered what it was like!
    "carpe that diem"
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    CCStar wrote:
    I don't like famous chefs, in general, they are horrible to their staff and have a bad attitude.

I am sure some non-famous chefs are just as bad!! :)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sure some non-famous chefs are just as bad!! :)
    They are not televised but if they do treat their staff badly - I would walk out!
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • Snow_Angel
    Options
    The only restaurant I generally eat in is a prize winning Thai restaurant in Plymouth. They are amazing and I too, being a veggie, am very impressed with their vegetarian options. They're not overpriced and the service is always impeccable. I love it, but only as a treat. :A
  • debtworrier
    Options
    Often wonder at all the tourists ploughing into places like Beefeater, TGI, Pizza Hut and the like (see the same thing in Edinburgh) when you can get so much better for the same money or less. Maybe they don't want to 'take a risk' and so go for the same option they could get back in the USA or wherever.....?

Mickey D's marketing wallahs say they get an extra two meals out of tourists because when people are on holiday and everything is 'different' the chain represents the familiar, safe option, and when the tourist is back home they get an extra visit because s/he remembers eating there while on holiday!
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Most of the time I am disappointed, but the Spread Eagle in Hereford is brilliant - home cooked good quality food at reasonable prices, good service and a very large and varied menu including some nice vegetarian options. Lunch times are best though because it's popular with students in the evening and the music is deafening :(
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My cooking is ok, sometimes a little uninspiring though. I prefer to cook from fresh and get a lot of pleasure doing so - except currently living at home I find it difficult as I'm not in charge of ordering the food etc. All shall change when I move out.

All english fare is easy game for me - I have no problems cooking it. Curries however I can never match up to the local takeaway standard. Last night was no exception when we went out to a small resturant which was very good - but so expensive (compared to the actual cost of the meal!)

When I can cook the food I love (indian & chinese) as well as the local takeaways I will not have any worries never eating out, except when invited. Similarly it'll be better for me!

I do however love eating out when abroad!
    Tim
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    My OH and I only tend to go to 2 restaurants now. There's a little italian near us. They do the most amazing seafood pizza. We've done them ourselves and are good but never as good as there and the prices are very reasonable. Then there's a pub/restaurant about 4 miles away which does proper food. I have never been disappoitned at either of these places. I've been to so many places where the food is awful and service not too good that I'd rather pay a bit more and go to these two places as I know I'll like what I get
  • beetrootjuicer
    Options
    For me the pleasure in eating in a restaurant is the company, not the food. I've never yet come across one that could beat good home cooking. I, like Shell2001, sit there totting up the cost of the ingredients and working out how little I could have made it for or worrying about the amount of fat, trans fats, salt, sugar, etc and thinking I could have done it much better with better quality ingredients and healthier too. Why are there so few 'healthy eating' places or even simple, healthy food on menus? Is it that eating out is seen as a treat and therefore restaurant's think we'll feel cheated if they don't overload the food with fat, sugar, etc. or do they use them to disguise poorer quality?

What I really enjoy is being invited to friends or family for a meal - great company and almost always superb food and plenty of it (I'm probably lucky in that they're all great cooks).
  • CathChat
    CathChat Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    LizD wrote:

Also as a veggie the choice is usually less than inspiring, especially chain restaurants. Maybe two choices if you're lucky, inevitably veggie lasagne or another form of pasta. No good if you don't do cheese or pasta.
    Having said that, I had a gorgeous Thai Red veggie curry in our local gastropub (Ye Olde George Inn, Christchurch). But it's independent and I think one of the owners is veggie, given the almost unheard of choice of 3 different dishes!

Isnt it nice when someone gives you a tasty veggie option.

Or you can have veggie lasangne AGAIN.

Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family