Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2014 at 7:44AM
    Checking accounts has stressed me out. Just can't get out of the overdraft and it is so frustrating. I have done some quick sums based on DH original pay so should be some extra but not enough to clear it. I am also very aware that we are headed towards crippling nursery fees until the end of the year due to my job change.

Wondering whether to survive best we can and focus on it again after Christmas when DS gets early entitlement and potential nursery costs of just £60 a week! Until then we will be on around £160 a week! :eek:

More immediate news, bathroom falling to bits -radiator has been leaking for ages and now the toilet seat is completely off! :eek:

Today I need to....
    1) transfer money from bills account to current account to cover paid water bill
    2) pop into uni to collect something
    3) visit my mum
    4) do housework - washing is thankfully all done
    5) find some items to sell!
    6) take dd to tennis lesson
    7) come up with a magical financial plan
    8) go to post office
    9) go to Mr M to use up a voucher

Have a good hump day everyone! :)
    [/LIST]
      Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
    • CathT
      CathT wrote: »

Today I need to....
      1) [STRIKE]transfer money from bills account to current account to cover paid water bill[/STRIKE]
      2) [STRIKE]pop into uni to collect something[/STRIKE]
      3) [STRIKE]visit my mum[/STRIKE]
      4) do housework - washing is thankfully all done Nothing major done!
      5) [STRIKE]find some items to sell![/STRIKE] Sold a toy
      6) [STRIKE]take dd to tennis lesson[/STRIKE]
      7) come up with a magical financial plan this was always going to be a non-starter ;)
      8) [STRIKE]go to post office[/STRIKE]
      9) [STRIKE]go to Mr M to use up a voucher[/STRIKE]

Have a good hump day everyone! :)
      [/LIST]

Planned to have a good sort out of playroom but managed to sell a toy for £12 so have paid that straight off CC. Suggested to DH we try and last until next Fri with £30 and he agreed. He also promised to buy some wine out of his personal spends.
      Have withdrawn £30 cash so we will use that and see how we get on.
    • CathT
      edited 17 October 2014 at 7:31AM
      Payday for DH, slightly less than normal which I have offset by transferring slightly less to cc account. I have £36 in my purse and apart from budgeted petrol spend I am not spending anything else until next week!

Other small things done last few days?
      1) won a fb competition and have won a Christmas cake!
      2) done some car insurance quotes for cashback
      3) lodged missing cashback claim
      4) queried 8ky bill and have half price offer until January. Might seem a luxury spend but we don't go anywhere!

I also have an earlier finishing date for job which solves my half term childcare stress which has saved pounds and a lot of worry!

Unfortunately I need to buy a sat nav but have a good t3sco voucher offering 600 points for £70 spend which I thought would be good for Christmas double up so off to browse there.

Have made a small shopping list and I am sticking to it!

Best find some more things to sell over the weekend too.
    • newgirly
      newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
      First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
      Hi cath, well done winning the xmas cake. I've also got a half price sky deal until dec, and just splashed out on half price movies to go with it like I get every year around this time until xmas is over. It's the price of one cinema ticket per month so well worth it for a family I think :D
      2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
    • lulabelle1
      lulabelle1 Posts: 2,691 Forumite
      First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
      Cath - do you have an iPhone? If yes, I highly recommend the Tomtom app. It's pricey but costs less than a stand alone sat nav. Plus you can share the app with other people in the house. I found that it was really handy being on my phone as I always have it with me.
    • Alchemilla
      Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
      First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
      Also maybe a used one from local faceache?
    • CathT
      Hello,

Looked into that app and it was pricey and tried to download a free one but not enough memory. Will just end up buying one I think, loads on eBay too. I didn't think to look there! Thank you for tips.

Have started making a 'to do' list ready for my day off. Working really unsociable hours at the moment and plagued by headaches.

I really want to treat myself to a haircut! Had it cut twice in the last year and fed up of tying it back. I had it coloured darker last year so I could colour at home but haven't needed to do it. The grey hairs haven't appeared yet!

Wine purchased over weekend and I have £9.94 in my purse. We will need bread, milk, butter and fruit before Friday so should just manage on that tight £30 budget. Might ask DH to do some baking today whilst I am at work and that will do for snacks and will persuade DD to have a packed lunch! She can't understand the logic that you can't have anything sugary in a packed lunch yet get given chocolate puddings and biscuits as part of school lunch! Not much gets passed her tbh!
    • newgirly
      newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
      First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
      I'm very jealous cath, can I borrow your dh to bake for me pretty please, my dh is great at eating it but not much else :D
      2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
    • CathT
      newgirly wrote: »
      I'm very jealous cath, can I borrow your dh to bake for me pretty please, my dh is great at eating it but not much else :D

Muffins made :)

Newgirly, I've never had to cook Christmas lunch either! Met DH when I was 19 so never had to do it myself he is a chef by trade so I am quite lucky. We do have to pay someone for absolutely anything DIY related though.
    • CathT
      I think I have devised a plan to get us out of this overdraft! I just about clear it on payday but bills send it back in the red! At the moment it looks like random scribble but hoping it will work in practise.

No Sat nav in stock so have left it for now. I have borrowed my mum's all year and thought I had broken it but it seems to be working again. Might hold onto it for a few more weeks. Maybe I could ask Santa for a new one?
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173K Life & Family
    • 247.8K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
    • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback