Countdown to Freedom

Comments

• Hi Tilly

Just caught up on your last few pages - I have been very sporadic on the diaries for the last 12 months.

What a lot has happened in a year. Glad you've got your new home as you want it and your money saving continues apace. Well done on the weight loss and I was really pleased to read that your health scare wasn't as serious as it could have been - glad you are fighting fit now.

Good luck with all your future plans and I hope to be a more regular visitor to your diary.

MCI x

PS off to catch up with MWC next, I think that will be the last one for now...
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Morning, heading towards the middle of March already. Really does show why you need good control of your finances and planning, otherwise the year would whiz by just on hopes.

I feel I need a list like GallyGirl but it may be too long. I’ve taken to writing a note on my phone each evening, of what I need to achieve the following day. I definitely need to tick things off in order to feel mentally whole - hope that makes sense.

Off on my travels this month and I’m choosing the flooring hopefully for the renovation. Exciting times ahead but bl@@dy scary as well.

Mr T is a busy bee and has finally got a good mix of working from home and travelling. No good to be constantly doing one or the other, as I know from personal experience. Finding that balance isn’t always easy though.

Tilly juniors are ok. DS had a bit of a freak out that he may have failed an exam - he can resit and fortunately hasn’t failed anything so far in a year of exams every week.

DD is improving her fitness and working hard. Hard to think she may have left home permanently in September. May be a few tears BUT it will also be good for me and Mr T. Ballroom and Latin dancing is going well :T. We are often to be seen dancing round the kitchen and bedroom - no that’s not a euphemism :rotfl:

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to Spring arriving - eventually.

Best wishes Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happy Easter Tilly and have a great month travelling and plotting and planning xx
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And re one of your last posts, I have just signed up for the Odeon Film Unseen - not free, but hear its fun.

Brizzle x
  • Hi Brizzle, I’ve been whizzing around and only just catching up :)

It’s all getting very real. We pay the council mid April for permission to start the renovation. Then we are on a clock to get it finished within the set period. The builder we are using is Portuguese, as the Brits often want to rip Brits off sadly. Portuguese project manager, Portuguese builder and then I’m going back and forth a fair bit.

Kitchen layout is now sorted. When Mr T and I are there in just over a week and we have to extend the dining table fully to confirm the length needed for dining room. Sounds ridiculous but no good having a room too big/too small.

We’ve chosen the fire we want, bathroom fittings, floor tiles throughout. I have a Pinterest board which Mr T and I both use. Underfloor heating has been debated (frequently) and we have gone with ‘yes’. Mains water to be used for this as it is cleaner than our well water. Air source heat pump and solar for heating water with an immersion heater just in case.

So many decisions to make. If any of you who read my diary have made home improvements and have lessons to share, then PLEASE SHARE :T

It does feel like decision overload but it will result in an easy to maintain, cheap to run, modern home. Not snazzy in terms of platinum quality but clean lines, art by Mr T :T, with a home for everything. Really exciting but we are both pretty nervous.

New fossa (septic tank) goes in, in late May, then garage starts in June. House will be completely packed up mid August with excess or no longer ‘loved’ furniture being sold/given away in the same month. Gant chart here I come :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Bathrooms and kitchen ripped out in early September, new layout created, then the positive works starts. Eggs have to be broken etc.

My brain feels fried but SO looking forward to the finished product :j

Right, I need to head to the shops.

Best wishes Tilly xxx
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wow, Tilly. Congratulations :j

It must be such a scary time ... but absolutely brilliant! Though what a shame about the Brit builders. How's your Portuguese coming along?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Fantastic progress Tilly. Very exciting :D

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Kitchen layout is now sorted. When Mr T and I are there in just over a week and we have to extend the dining table fully to confirm the length needed for dining room. Sounds ridiculous but no good having a room too big/too small.
    Very sensible :)

I had my new kitchen layout marked out in newspaper on the floor for a few weeks - made me change my mind about a protruding breakfast bar as the gap to get past would have been too narrow, though it seemed ok on the plan.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Wow, Tilly. Congratulations :j

It must be such a scary time ... but absolutely brilliant! Though what a shame about the Brit builders. How's your Portuguese coming along?
    Mr Ts is much better than mine but I am now taking every opportunity to speak. Plus my German is being used more which is great.
    Fantastic progress Tilly. Very exciting :D

Fortune x
    It’s very exciting.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Very sensible :)

I had my new kitchen layout marked out in newspaper on the floor for a few weeks - made me change my mind about a protruding breakfast bar as the gap to get past would have been too narrow, though it seemed ok on the plan.

We’ve used tape on the floor last week which really helped. It made us realise we have to have a fire in a corner not a three sided one. Very useful :T

For those who know me in RL you can imagine the trauma having to make home decisions - work ones are SO much easier :rotfl:
  • Morning, weather is glorious and we missed the awful rain here last week. We have met the builders and are reviewing their prices :eek:

It is really happening. All those years of Tilly Tidying, renting a room, surveys, menu planning, working like a nutter have been so worthwhile. Our Pinterest board may explode but it has made life much easier.

No more drawing on napkins Gallygirl :rotfl:

Looks like from September onwards I’ll be spending more time travelling back and forth. Will have to sofa surf but will not be long trips.

We are planning electrical sockets today - never let it be said we don’t know how to live life to the full :rotfl:

Right, off to assess electrical needs.

Tilly xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business