Problem with used PCP purchase before collection.

satchef1
satchef1 Posts: 115 Forumite
edited 6 December 2017 at 11:59AM in Motoring
Hi,

I purchased a used car on PCP last week. I haven't collected it yet; collection was arranged for this afternoon. I called an hour ago to check everything is okay, only to be told it isn't. The SD card for the medianav system is missing. This is a fairly substantial problem because of how many of the car's features are controlled by this system (even the heating won't function properly). The dealership is estimating a week to get the replacement. Reports online suggest 4-6 weeks is more typical as the card is locked to that specific car, and has to come from Clarion in Japan.

My dilemma is this; I'm content enough to give the dealership a week to get it fixed. But I'm not happy with waiting 4-6 weeks (or more; it is Christmas) for it to be put right. I can cancel the finance, penalty free, provided this is done by Monday. After that, I'm not sure where I stand. Is it better to simply reject the car now and cancel the finance agreement? If I tell the dealership that I no longer want the car, as it isn't as advertised, do I have a right to my deposit back?

Thanks,

Stu

Comments

• Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask if they'll give you a courtesy car after a week if they haven't sorted it by then and get it in writing. If they refuse then I'd take that as a prettty good indication that they don't really expect it to take a week.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it was me, I'd have searched the car myself, including in amongst the manual, just in case there's a quick and easy solution to all of this - they didn't look hard enough. Other quick and easy solution that MAY be possible - take one from another car if they have one.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The car will function absolutely fine without the Satnav SD card.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »

+1

Its just that the NAV wont work.

And they are usually readily available on ebay.

I got the latest 2017 one for my Passat on ebay.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    satchef1 wrote: »
    This is a fairly substantial problem because of how many of the car's features are controlled by this system (even the heating won't function properly).

I'd be inclined to take it if they give you a courtesy car until you're satisfied.

If it's not a particularly rare car or super deal, I'd be inclined to just cancel it and get another one. Who knows what issues you'll have if the replacement isn't correct.
  • motorguy
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to take it if they give you a courtesy car until you're satisfied.

If it's not a particularly rare car or super deal, I'd be inclined to just cancel it and get another one. Who knows what issues you'll have if the replacement isn't correct.

Its a memory card that only affects the sat nav?

They're an upgradeable item that can be updated yearly with the latest maps.

Cancelling the deal over a memory card seems a bit extreme IMHO
  • motorguy
    O/P - whats the specific model and year of the car?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    Its a memory card that only affects the sat nav?

They're an upgradeable item that can be updated yearly with the latest maps.

Cancelling the deal over a memory card seems a bit extreme IMHO

With the way integration is going I wouldn't be surprised if the memory card needs to be in and validated for seemingly unrelated features to work. Potentially anything that's controlled from the touchscreen way depend on the sat nav working.

I'm not suggesting cancelling it because of the card, more the risk that getting a working replacement could take weeks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Herzlos wrote: »
    . Potentially anything that's controlled from the touchscreen way depend on the sat nav working.

No it won't. You'll get a message about there being no SD card and you'll get an error message if you try to use the Satnav function but a car manufacturer would be hauled over the coals by the press if you couldn't use a car because of a corrupted SD card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure