LED headlights

124»

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    I think the point being made was that in the event of a claim if the insurance inspected your car and found an undeclared modification (the bulbs) they could then potentially cancel the policy. You would still be covered third party for whatever claim was being made but would then be in the undesirable position of having to declare a cancelled policy to your next insurer.
  • The high level rear LED brake lights are often a string of LEDs along a strip of printed circuit board. On one of our last cars it failed due to corrosion of the print board tracks, not an LED problem but lousy PCB coating.

Not sure the high lever brake light is a legal requirement when the vehicle has 2 other working brake lights?
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure the high lever brake light is a legal requirement when the vehicle has 2 other working brake lights?

I can't be bothered to look through C&U regs but they could well be now for any vehicle from a certain date. I know with lorries the four mandatory mirrors increased to five a few years ago, the fifth one being on the front of the cab to cover the area directly in front of the vehicle.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Yet, 20 years later, LEDs have proven essential in reducing energy squandered by power-sapping filament light bulbs and many of us have invested in the technology to illuminate our homes and offices.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]As LEDs provide brighter and more energy efficient lighting, it is logical to enhance your car, by fitting LED bulbs to your car’s exterior lamps.[/FONT]

Our lighting regulations are very poor, the wattage of a side light bulb, is that 10w, is very low and sometimes offers little illumination.
    When flashing LEDs were first used by cyclists, it was said that they were illegal. But the law has now been changed, because they are brighter/safer and better all round.
    I do find some LEDs dazzling, front and rear; again - very poor regulations.
    I have non-standard LED front side light bulbs, because they are better than the recommended bulbs.

Having just had to use my jump leads to start a friends car, with the lights being used more in winter, do LEDs offer practical energy saving?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Our lighting regulations are very poor, the wattage of a side light bulb, is that 10w, is very low and sometimes offers little illumination.

Illumination of what?
  • sevenhills
    Illumination of what?

They are hardly visible, compared to LEDs
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    Illumination of what?
    The term "illumination" doesn't have to mean that something is being directly lit up by the lighting. It can also refer to something that is a source of light. (Such as the Blackpool illuminations).
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I have had to stop driving after dark because these lights are so dazzling. Some people are so selfish, they have no regard for others. Not so long ago, I saw a small car with 3 sets of bright headlights - madness!

Same here! So this time of year is incredibly isolating with being stuck at home from 4pm onwards :(
  • sevenhills
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Same here! So this time of year is incredibly isolating with being stuck at home from 4pm onwards :(

I find bright lights dazzling, but not to that extent, maybe many do.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What many people don't appreciate is that other people's eyes don't work as well as their own. As you age, your eyes are less able to focus well, especially in low light so are less able to cope with being dazzled.

A good pair of glasses may help, just having well corrected vision will improve things.

The other thing is to avoid the temptation to stare at dazzling lights, make a conscious effort to look away - the eye can be a bit of a magpie for bright lights and then you are left partially sighted while your eye recovers.

The other part of headlights is that it is very easy to dazzle the car in front, and while many cars have automatic dipping rear view mirrors, dipping wing mirrors are rarer beasts and a light in the corner of your eye from the car behind can be very uncomfortable. If you can see your headlights lighting up the interior of the car in front, then they are set too high.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure