Options
124»

Comments

• littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2017 at 1:36AM
    Options
    ok so view seems to be that ANPR is a red herring and was said as off the cuff expkanation by debt collectors as that is usually the reason for the fine. Police comments about cloned plates also off the cuff. In this case is all a misunderstanding. So are we saying that the OP has been fined by DVLA for owning an uninsured car, normally parked on the road which had not been SORNed. Compounded by his moving house. I can see this would make sense. Only query, .are DVLA usually this proactive and quick off the mark on failing to insure car?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As has been hinted at by a couple of others my money is on this being a fine under the continuous enforcement rules if it was not SORN or for keeping a SORN car on the public road if it was declared SORN.

OP suggests the car was parked in a private car park with a flat battery at the time of the offence. It is quite likely that what the OP describes as a private car park is actually considered to be an extension of the road. As an example parking a car in a block of garages outside the garage is not off the road but inside the garage is. On your drive is off road but rolling even the front wheels onto the pavement puts the car onto the road.

Can the OP come back and confirm the following.

Was the car declared SORN.
    Was the car insured.
    Where was the car parked.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    Only query, .are DVLA usually this proactive and quick off the mark on failing to insure car?

The implication from the OP is that the car had been parked uninsured for 3 months, so not very quick.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Until the OP comes back and clarifies matters its all speculation.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I know of people being ticketed for bad parking on private land, because the police believed was a public road. If the ANPR "fact" is wrong, and the car was properly SORN'd, then the fine would be invalid. The DVLA often clamp untaxed cars on the road ; but maybe didn't bother clamping something that looked undriveable.
    I think the OP is reasonably entitled to see the evidence presented to the court ; the Clerk or the Court Manager should be able to help.

The "scrapped" car being driven around, could well be legit ; some people have a lot of free time to do repairs with "pre-owned" parts. The police will be interested in case it's a ringer.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    I know of people being ticketed for bad parking on private land, because the police believed was a public road. If the ANPR "fact" is wrong, and the car was properly SORN'd, then the fine would be invalid. The DVLA often clamp untaxed cars on the road ; but maybe didn't bother clamping something that looked undriveable.
    I think the OP is reasonably entitled to see the evidence presented to the court ; the Clerk or the Court Manager should be able to help.

The "scrapped" car being driven around, could well be legit ; some people have a lot of free time to do repairs with "pre-owned" parts. The police will be interested in case it's a ringer.

Since nobody's doing identity checks at the moment it doesn't appear they are.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As said, we need OP to clarify a few things but its a possibility OP didn't sorn. They make no mention of the car being sorn'd - only that it was unable to be driven due to battery & 2 tyres (rather surprised anyone would scrap a car due to needing those tbh!).

It sounds as if the car was sitting from January until late April. Thats a period of at least 3 months. Not sure how often the MID is crosschecked with DVLA but I'd say they probably do it at least once every 3 months.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Should the thread title be :
    "DVLA fine from MID check on non-SORN'd car. Hard lesson learned."
  • wolvoman
    wolvoman Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Should the thread title be :
    "DVLA fine from MID check on non-SORN'd car. Hard lesson learned."

Still doesn't explain why the first the OP hears of it is via a bailiff though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure