Conservatory Doors

Hi All

What are the regulations for removing conservatory doors between the living room and the conservatory? I understand there are some form of regulations I need to abide by, but I'm not sure what they are. I know it's possible but I want to know how!

Thanks

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Building Regulations?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, building regulations.

A conservatory is classed as an outbuilding. In order to remain so, there needs to be quality doors between house and conservatory.

As soon as you remove the doors, it becomes an extension to the house and needs to meet all the regulations for an extension. Conservatories rarely even begin to touch building regulation standards. The first one it isn't going to meet is thermal efficiency as they leak heat like oil is going out of fashion.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Jb_1982
    Jb_1982 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ok, so what needs to be done to make the conservatory pass these building regulations?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In a word? Everything.

I have heard anecdotally on here that sometimes building inspectors will accept upgrading thermal efficiency through the house in return for allowing the doors to be removed, but I am dubious.

There is a reason why conservatories are cheaper than extensions. It is because they do not comply. Not foundations, not insulation, not thermal efficiency.

You can ask your local authority building control and see what they say but I wouldn't be too optimistic.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jb_1982 wrote: »
    Ok, so what needs to be done to make the conservatory pass these building regulations?

Have you got a polycarbonate or glass roof?
  • Jb_1982
    Jb_1982 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have you got a polycarbonate or glass roof?

The roof is made of glass, double glazed along with the windows.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ultimately it's up to you what you do in your own home. It's probably never going to get approval so could be an issue when you sell. Have you got somewhere to store the doors?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 7:45AM
    Given that doors are made for humans to enter and exit by, what advantages do you perceive in removing the doors altogether?

You should bear in mind that the doors, if external quality, stop the conservatory sucking heat from the house in the depths of winter and keep overheated air from moving into the house in summer, although the latter depends to some extent on factors like ventilation and aspect.

If you think that the advantage outweighs the disadvantages, then removing the doors could be done on a trial basis for, say, a six months, starting in September. That will give you long enough to see how your fuel bills are impacted.

I have a heat-efficient conservatory, as far as most conservatories go, but it still has huge areas of glass, so I don't kid myself it meets building regs. I'd not want its 28c coming into my house on hot days, never mind the cold 'pull' on winter nights, even though the heating system could cope.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 10:57AM
    My way round this was to install bi-folding patio doors between lounge and conservatory. They are glass with slim aluminium frames and of external grade so satisfying regulations.

Very effective insulation, effective at keeping heat out the lounge when the conservatory has been shut up and very hot or cold out in the winter, also nearly soundproof so when shut the conservatory and lounge can be used for different purposes. I also like the extra security as conservatories can be vulnerable and a burglar would then have to tackle another layer of multi-point locked doors to get into the house.

You can choose how many panels its made up of, I had 3 so when folded to the side the intrusion into the room is quite small, also had the conservatory floor height made to match the lounge level so a very low threshold track on the bottom could be used, no trip hazard. When opened up its like all one room. One panel can be open on its own acting as an access door so you don't have to keep opening the whole thing just to go in and out.

Many many people have admired the setup.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • prezzacc
    prezzacc Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Sillygoose,

Can i ask where you got these doors, im also looking at a similar option. But am finding the opening between living room and conservatory a little small. Not quite 6ft wide.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport