PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:20PM
    Options
    You lot.... I've had a craving for crumpets for days now from reading all your posts. Bought some today and they're all gone already.

Brunch, lunch and then dinner... now I'll have to go out tomorrow to get some more for the weekend. The power of suggestion eh?
    They are one of the awesome things about CFO ....crumpets - and you never buy them and find only an empty wrapper left in the bin by somebody who scoffed them before you :)

They're the secret ingredient key to successful CFO and getting through the days with little awesome rounds of goodness.
    .... prepping single portion pasta.
    Er...it needs prepping? I just tip out, by eye, what I fancy ... what looks right.
    I did used to use a microwave steamer to cook pasta but then a friend bought me a Joseph Joseph container after I burnt myself juggling the steamer.
    You know those frozen meals, cheap in supermarkets in deep/long white plastic containers - usually rice/vegetable based ready meals .... I use one of those .... just cover the pasta with boiling water .... and keep checking every 2-3 minutes and topping up water a little at a time as required.

It just needs high sides really, to prevent the bubbling goo spilling over.

I keep a collection of microwave meal containers, so I've always got one "just the right size".

Although, out of curiosity, I did buy something like your new gadget just the other week. Brand new/unused, in a car boot, for £1.
    This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pressure-Cookers/Fasta-Pasta-Microwave-Biphenol-Free-white/B008VDAQNY

But it's too big for my nuker turntable by the tiniest amount... too big to turn round. So it's now relegated to my "box of stuff that might be useful at some point in the remaining 10-15 years of my life, so I'll hold onto it, but keep it in a box upstairs so it's not cluttering up the cupboards"

I compared specs and yours/mine both say they're 30cm long.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For me it's not the cooking of the pasta but the draining that is dodgy sometimes if my hands are playing up. Hence the easy straining gadget.
    But it's too big for my nuker turntable by the tiniest amount... too big to turn round. So it's now relegated to my "box of stuff that might be useful at some point in the remaining 10-15 years of my life, so I'll hold onto it, but keep it in a box upstairs so it's not cluttering up the cupboards"

Use it for making noodles or couscous - they don't need much 'cooking'.... just put them in, cover with boiling water and put the lid on to keep the steam in.
    :hello:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For me it's not the cooking of the pasta but the draining that is dodgy sometimes if my hands are playing up. Hence the easy straining gadget.
    Ah, that bit. I must say that in my "perfect kitchen" the microwave would sit in a corner as I do fumble getting things out so close to the edge of the worktop.... I'm always one dinner away from needing new slippers.
    Use it for making noodles or couscous - they don't need much 'cooking'.... just put them in, cover with boiling water and put the lid on to keep the steam in.

I have a multitude of other containers I do those in. Lidded pots and open jugs aplenty - and I'd prefer to have the kitchen cupboard not bunged to the rafters than keep something hanging around "just in case I made XYZ".. I do dislike couscous.... so unsatisfying :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 April 2017 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Evening everyone
    Goodness a wee quiet thread today!

Tiddliewinks and PN thanks for the suggestions re pasta cooker/drainers. I've never cooked pasta in the microwwave though mine is quite wee so I'm not sure they would fit. My solution to pasta or veg draining to avoid losing my balance and scalding myself is to put a colander in a deep bowl then use a slotted spoon or tongs to lift the items from the pan to the colander. It works well for me :)

I'm not CFO tonight as my son is back up the road. I'm making vension burgers (from a batch I made last year) with brioche buns and HM wedges so although for 2 it is a meal I make for myself. Lunch was a tasty egg, tomatato and salad cream in a chunk of baguette;):D

Tomorrow I'm hoping to be [STRIKE]manhandled[/STRIKE] assisted to go to the new local food market. It started last month and seems to have a fab fish stall that I'm determined to visit if nothing else :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Evening everyone
    Goodness a wee quite thread today!

Tiddliewinks and PN thanks for the suggestions re pasta cooker/drainers. I've never cooked pasta in the microwwave though mine is quite wee so I'm not sure they would fit. My solution to pasta or veg draining to avoid losing my balance and scalding myself is to put a colander in a deep bowl then use a slotted spoon or tongs to lift the items from the pan to the colander. It works well for me :)

I have a Betterware microwave pressure cooker that fits in a 20 litre microwave - just!
    Slotted spoons are okay but they don't hold much.

I really recommend this mesh ladle, the one I bought last year from Amazon isn't available now but this is identical and a similar low price.
    Mine took a little while to arrive from China but it was worth the wait. I used to have a far more expensive one from Lakeland that chipped, flaked and rusted...:(
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Back home after a lovely week in Southport we went for various trips out including a day at Buttermere Lake. Absolutely gorgeous had no idea
    the North West had such beautiful scenery as not been that far up before.

Downside is that I have brought so many left overs back I will be living on it for a week at least.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    Options
    I have a Betterware microwave pressure cooker that fits in a 20 litre microwave - just!
    Slotted spoons are okay but they don't hold much.

I really recommend this mesh ladle, the one I bought last year from Amazon isn't available now but this is identical and a similar low price.
    Mine took a little while to arrive from China but it was worth the wait. I used to have a far more expensive one from Lakeland that chipped, flaked and rusted...:(

Thanks for that I've a wee mesh ladle I got at a Chinese Supermarket just the trick for lifting eggs out of boiling water:) at that price I've nothing to lose by ordering one :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Mesh ladle ordered :)

Meg sounds like a lovely day out - hopefully you can freeze some of the leftovers so they don't become a chore to use up:)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 April 2017 at 7:07PM
    Options
    In line with my day off, trying to relax, not worry and look after 'me' day (because no !!!!!! else will!), I am having a picky bits dinner with wine.

I have crackers, blue cheese, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, some sour cream and chive dip, peanuts and I know there is a pack of chorizo in the freezer which I may defrost to add to the mix.

I have some strong cheddar in the freezer too which I would liberate if I had an Lime Pickle because one of my fave snacks is a cracker, slice of mature cheddar and a liberal blob of hot and spicy lime pickle.

ETA: failing on the not worrying front and whilst a hug from a another would be nice, as a oneski, I've become conditioned to cope on my own and shy away from company, especially at times like this :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    In line with my day off, trying to relax, not worry and look after 'me' day (because no !!!!!! else will!), I am having a picky bits dinner with wine.

I have crackers, blue cheese, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, some sour onion and chive dip, peanuts and I know there is a pack of chorizo in the freezer which I may defrost to add to the mix.

I have some strong cheddar in the freezer too which I would liberate if I had an Lime Pickle because one of my fave snacks is a cracker, slice of mature cheddar and a liberal blob of hot and spicy lime pickle.

ETA: failing on the not worrying front and whilst a hug from a another would be nice, as a oneski, I've become conditioned to cope on my own and shy away from company, especially at times like this :o

Have a virtual hug :grouphug:

I love "picky bits" meals - a little bit of lots of things you fancy can never be a bad thing :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure