Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest?

palgrave
palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
My car was due a recall for the airbag,. So I booked it in at my nearest Honda main dealer and thought I may as well get the MOT done too.

They failed the MOT stating the front lower control arm compliances bushes split. They also suggested to replace both from drop links. They quoted £480 for the repair including VAT!!

I'm quite dubious on whether the bushes actually need replacing as the car drives fine. The alignment is slightly off but tracking should sort that out. How can I know whether they do really need replacing or not??

Comments

• Is the previous MOT still valid? If so I'd ask for a second opinion from a different garage. That is assuming carrying out a new MOT check does not invalidate the old one. Probably better to wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to answer / confirm.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    palgrave wrote: »
    My car was due a recall for the airbag,. So I booked it in at my nearest Honda main dealer and thought I may as well get the MOT done too.

They failed the MOT stating the front lower control arm compliances bushes split. They also suggested to replace both from drop links. They quoted £480 for the repair including VAT!!

I'm quite dubious on whether the bushes actually need replacing as the car drives fine. The alignment is slightly off but tracking should sort that out. How can I know whether they do really need replacing or not??

Bit of a money pit that new car of yours.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Take a look at your front tyres. Are they both worn on one edge: inner or outer part of the tread? Is one tyre wearing worse than the other, and/or in a different area of tread? It may not be just a Tracking issue. Steering geometry can be complex to measure, calibrate and set up and there can be many reasons for problems, including the bushes and drop links mentioned.

I would risk another MOT fee and test at another testing station. If the results are the same, or broadly similar, you have your answer. If the second garage offers a significantly cheaper price for the same repairs, you have another answer.

Does seem to give you some expensive problems, that "old banger" you have referred to elsewhere on the Forum. ;) Heh heh.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Bit of a money pit that new car of yours.
    That is the problem with buying an 'old banger'.
  • That's the problem with these imaginary Hondas. Build quality is terrible.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Car failed MOT. Is garage being honest?

I think the question is, are you being honest?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    That's the problem with these imaginary Hondas. Build quality is terrible.

It must be the Vauxhall VXR partnership.
  • And the new owner of a 'performance BMW' just happens to have been the first to reply, with their first post on the forum.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And the new owner of a 'performance BMW' just happens to have been the first to reply, with their first post on the forum.

The two hander who crashed his beloved msport?
  • The two hander who crashed his beloved msport?

I suspect split-personality disorder. We're into the 'replying to own threads' phase.

The great reveal should happen within the next 48hours or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure