Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Billy_Bonkers
    Options
    But why do they keep them on the aircraft for so long given that it's a long flight to start with and they'd already had 2 hours in the air (1 hour out and 1 hour back).

Its takes a while to get everybody off & back on again. They no doubt wanted to be able to go at the first available take off slot but didn't expect to have to wait so long. They would be mindful of the crew running out of hours. But yes 3.5 hours is a long sit with a lengthy flight ahead.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This article, about compensation in the USA, has surfaced due to the Dr being forcabley removed from the UA flight. It may be of interest to pax denied boarding in the US.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/05/27/2015-12789/revisions-to-denied-boarding-compensation-domestic-baggage-liability-limits-and-civil-penalty
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Bukes30
    Bukes30 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

We flew to Orlando recently via New York. The flight from new York was delayed around 3 hours. We only found out through the flight information boards.
    Wondering if this warrants a claim?

Also we booked the flight with virgin but ended up flying with delta, not sure who we would claim from?

Thanks
    Bukes
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Bukes30 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We flew to Orlando recently via New York. The flight from new York was delayed around 3 hours. We only found out through the flight information boards.
    Wondering if this warrants a claim?

Also we booked the flight with virgin but ended up flying with delta, not sure who we would claim from?

Thanks
    Bukes

You've no claim. The operating airline was Delta so EU261 doesn't apply.
  • Bukes30
    Bukes30 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    You've no claim. The operating airline was Delta so EU261 doesn't apply.

Thanks Leylandsunaddict for clarifying.
    Bukes30
  • DrA_Harrogate
    Options
    Are we certain that there is no claim? The reason I ask is that we flew with Virgin from Manchester to Cancun via Atlanta. The second part of the journey was operated by Delta so the structure was similar to that posted by Bukes. However, it was a single ticket and the Delta flight had a Virgin Flight number. Might be worth sticking the Virgin number into Botts calculator.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are we certain that there is no claim? The reason I ask is that we flew with Virgin from Manchester to Cancun via Atlanta. The second part of the journey was operated by Delta so the structure was similar to that posted by Bukes. However, it was a single ticket and the Delta flight had a Virgin Flight number. Might be worth sticking the Virgin number into Botts calculator.

It is always the operating carrier of the delay that the claim is made from. It does not matter what the flight number is or who the ticket was bought through.
    Had the first flight been delayed and the connecting flight missed then the claim would be from Virgin. As they caused no delay they are not responsible.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Are we certain that there is no claim?

Yes we are.
  • Scottf
    Scottf Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 19 April 2017 at 2:28AM
    Options
    I was delayed for 5 hours on a BA flight to Miami because someone dented the aircraft with walkway
    BA say I don't have a claim as it was extraordinary circumstances out with their control
    I said it was negligence and they should pay compensation
    Who's right please
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scottf wrote: »
    I was delayed for 5 hours on a BA flight to Miami because someone dented the aircraft with walkway
    BA say I don't have a claim as it was extraordinary circumstances out with their control
    I said it was negligence and they should pay compensation
    Who's right please

It depends on who did the "denting" and whether they were contracted by BA or unconnected.
    Put your flight details through EUClaim and bottonline and see whether they believe there is a claim or not
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback