Electric cars

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hang on Martyn - that's surely about rest breaks on a long run rather than fuel stops... When you can guarantee that you will a) always find a free charger and b) can get a decent charge in the 15 minutes you need to stretch legs and visit the loos and possibly change drivers then it's a valid point. Otherwise it's still about the limit of what you might need to do in a day of "there and back" or "visit 4 customers".
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Ihis article seems to be saying about the same, that a range of 200 miles (actually less) is enough for most folk
    My bladder anxiety kicks in at 110-140 miles. I want a vehicle that can do 150 miles at 80% charge traveling at 70mph. I say 80% charge because once one gets above that, the charge rate starts slowing down.

A break is a good idea every couple of hours anyway as driving, done properly, is tiring.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Hang on Martyn - that's surely about rest breaks on a long run rather than fuel stops...

They are synonymous here - no-one cares about fuel stops in an ICE car because they don't take long anyway. If you're stopping for a rest within 150 miles, being able to charge whilst you rest gives you the charge time for free.

If you're visiting multiple customers/whatever, then you can (in theory) charge whilst doing the visit, thus the charging time is free.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Hang on Martyn - that's surely about rest breaks on a long run rather than fuel stops... When you can guarantee that you will a) always find a free charger and b) can get a decent charge in the 15 minutes you need to stretch legs and visit the loos and possibly change drivers then it's a valid point. Otherwise it's still about the limit of what you might need to do in a day of "there and back" or "visit 4 customers".

Not sure what you mean.

Basically the Youtube advice from EV'ers seems to contradict the claims form non EV'ers that the cars will only be suitable when they can do 500+ miles on a single charge and recharge in a couple of mins.

The on-line chats, you-tube vids, the answers I got on here from EV'ers, and the results of that survey/article, all seem to say the same thing about the range of EV's needed to meet the majority of drivers needs, and that seems to be somewhere around 150-200 miles.

Bigger batts sound great (I certainly fell for that misunderstanding), but why pay so much more, for something you hardly ever use, and could be resolved, instead, by an additional charging rest.

Personally, my gut said 250-300 miles (last year), but the helpful comments on here about real life usage and re-charging, have 'shown me the light'. They have also made it clear that the extreme range needs, oft touted by a minority claiming to represent a majority, are BS, just the usual negative nonsense spouted about all new ideas and technology.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Well lets see how the public react to the new Hyundai Kona.

Seems to tick most of the boxes the public feel they need.

SUV / Crossover Bodystyle
    300 Mile Real World Range (64kwh battery)
    All the tech and toys to keep it upto date
    100kw CCS charging, add 200 miles range in 50mins 140 miles in 30mins

An on the road price of under £30k

And looking like real world quick delivers rather than vapourware.

Ordered ours on launch day 2nd Aug, was offered a delivery slot in 2 weeks but pushed it back to 1st Week Sept so its in a 68 plate.

Should meet the needs of many.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Stageshoot wrote: »
    Well lets see how the public react to the new Hyundai Kona.
    An on the road price of under £30k
    So, again, twice the price of the ICE version that's been on the market a year already.

IIRC, that was held up as the reason the e-Up! didn't sell...
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 2:08PM
    Nowhere near twice the price,

Unless you compare the bare bones poverty spec ICE to the top of the range electric.

But as always the anti brigade have to try and find a way to make it look like a poor choice.

If we have a look at the price list

Hyundai KONA Premium SE
    Premium SE 1.0 T-GDi 120PS Manual Sport Utility Vehicle £20,946
    Premium SE 1.6 CRDi 115PS Manual Sport Utility Vehicle £22,606
    Premium SE 1.6 CRDi 136PS DCT Sport Utility Vehicle £23,906

Premium SE 64 kWh Sport Utility Vehicle £35,656

The Premium SE Electric 64kw (150Kw Motor) is £11450 more than the 50% less powerful 1.6CRDi

Then take off the £4500 Govenment Grant brings the difference down to £6950

So that extra price will be eaten up with savings in fuel servicing etc easily in 2 years, But no its just easier to spout that the EV is double the price.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Herzlos wrote: »
    They are synonymous here - no-one cares about fuel stops in an ICE car because they don't take long anyway. If you're stopping for a rest within 150 miles, being able to charge whilst you rest gives you the charge time for free.
    How much time.... Wanting to stop every 150 miles is one thing. But that doesn't make a charging stop every 150 miles equally feasible. I can stop, have a pee, stretch legs maybe buy a coffee to go and be on the road again in 15 minutes. Add a refuel and it's 20 or 22 minutes. To match that with an EV under current circumstances, I need to be sure of finding a charger ready to use and be able to charge from 5% to 100% in that 22 minutes. The infrastructure isn't there yet. And it will probably be there in the motorway services first. If I'm going east-west cross-country, I might be stopping in a little market town. I might be willing to wait longer because it's a nicer place than Watford Gap - but I've got to hunt down the one charger in town and if it's busy because a local has plugged in and gone to the pub for an hour....
    If you're visiting multiple customers/whatever, then you can (in theory) charge whilst doing the visit, thus the charging time is free.
    That only works if here is a free charger near enough to where you are going. On regular trips you may be able to work it out in advance but not everybody has control. Which brings us back to the key point... Not everybody can charge at home. The publicly available charging network isn't yet as convenient as fossil fuel and requires more route planning. The Guardian tried it last month. It will get there - the fact that some of you here can make it work shows that - and there's probably a tipping point at which enough people feel confident about not running out of charge that they will seriously look at an EV option and suddenly the demand on the charging infrastructure will ramp up and it might well see-saw a bit. Yeah, 200 miles on one charge probably will meet the needs of a lot of people (especially for local short runs) and it might only be a once a week charge. But not so great for many in the commercial world.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    Yes it's reliant on there being enough chargers, but it'll be technologically easier to fit more charges than to improve the cars range - we know the range of EV's are now good enough for most and now need to focus on the infrastructure. That infrastructure will grow as the ratio of EV's grows.

The Hyundai Kona is getting close to the sort of thing I'd be looking at, I've not got the budget for new (nor doing enough miles for the fuel saving to justify it), but it's something I'll be taking a good look at when I upgrade in ~3 years, where a 3 year old one will be comfortably within budget.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I regularly make a trip of 175 miles to a place with no mains power. Half the time I am towing a ton trailer. I don't stop at all on the way there. I may stop to refuel on the way back but it takes five, possibly ten minutes max. I don't currently buy coffee anywhere, nor do I want to.

I am considering an electic car for commuting but, in the not so distant future, I think I'm going to have to resign myself to wasting a couple of hours or so waiting for an electric 4x4 to charge on my longer trips.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback