The "Save 12k in 2018" Thread!

Options

Comments

• Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    geoffers4 wrote: »
    Hang on, Wentie...retired early, works part time, hits annual target by AUGUST??? Wow - I'd say you're "very fine"!

Haha Geoffers I know, I can't quite believe it myself! I'm better off than when was a full-time wage slave, I keep thinking they've miscalculated but it's been a year now, so I seem to be in the clear. :D

I hope you find yourself similarly comfortable when you hit your FIRE; not long now (comparatively)!
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2018 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Private 102, reporting for saving duty:hello:

Have duly logged another £500 in the regular coffers (form updated).

Got a bonus this month, so topped up savings I used last month buying stuff from a Homebase closing down sale, and then bought a new boiler with the rest of it for fitting next month.

I have finally added up all those odds and sods at the bottom of my various current and credit card accounts and it totals a respectable £191.62. That will go into our joint current account in preparation for paying the boiler installer in September.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    £973.19 saved for June.

Much improved over last month!

Have finally been able to make the improvements to my saving spreadsheet I've been planning on doing for ages (now that my exams are over). :) Its looking much better and gives me a clearer picture of where things are and how they're doing.

Also have done a tidy up of all my standing orders, its amazing how lots of little pockets of money here and there which I thought were required to meet minimum requirements are actually not required (because I meet the minimum requirements in other ways) and was able to move them elsewhere to earn some interest.

Currently got a (relatively) large chunk of money in transit from my S&S ISA to Cash ISA, so far it has gone smoothly and fingers crossed it carries on that way!

Have a great weekend all and enjoy the sun (and football!) :D

Slowlyfading - I have a small suggestion I was hoping you could consider. Would it be possible to add an 'Monthly average' amount for each saver? I would be happy to help if it would make it easier, I'm sure there is a formula that would make it automatic (so you don't have you constantly fiddle around with it).

£503.56 saved for July!

Been a very busy month, with the S&S ISA to Cash ISA gone smoothly in June I in full swing of preparing to buy my first property in London. I have been in touch with mortgage advisor at my bank as well as an independent (whole of market) mortgage broker my cousin recommended.

Now in the (what I find quite stressful) period of finding a place to buy! I'm finding it very difficult with house prices as they are and everywhere I look at I'm always thinking "How on earth is this place worth £450k!!"

Any general tips/advice for a first time buyer in London would be much appreciated!
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any general tips/advice for a first time buyer in London would be much appreciated!

Buy in Sussex.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    As somebody who's tried and failed to buy three different properties, I'd say: consider buyer's protection insurance.

Good luck!!
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fiisch wrote: »
    Buy in Sussex.

Is Sussex in London? :huh:
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    #112 reporting £300 for July. We have really fallen by the wayside as we really failed to budget properly for the summer. :( I'm trying desperately to get back on track but can't see how it is going to happen. Positive thinking though, hopefully we can knuckle down.
    #112 Save 12k in 2018: 5000/6000
    #35 Save 12k in 2019: 4985.28/7000
    #32 Save 12k in 2020: 13282.17/12000
    #60 Save 12k in 2021: 0/13000
  • Clare43
    Clare43 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello :) Number 3 reporting £1980.09 for July :)
    Save 12K in 2020. Number 13
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't think I would actually make it back here this year, its been a heavy few months on the finances after buying a house in April.
    76 reporting £250 for August
  • lightbulb0811
    Options
    I've been rubbish at keeping up to date with this - just posted an update of £681.52 saved over the last couple of months.
    Save £12k in 2019 #111 £440.39/£4000
    Sealed pot challenge #5 £153.59/250
    Weight Loss 28/60 lb challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills