Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
  • milkydrink
    We are all doing weight watchers in our house.

This has cut down hugely on waste, as I read my WW books plan a weeks menus & shop for them.

I have to make sure we have all the food needed to cook a WW meal quickly, as coming in from work, being tired & the supermarket being 3 miles or so away would lead me to cook something quick, easy & not low fat/cal.

So a nice side effect of WW has cut down on waste.

Now whether we are saving much money or not is another question, as we now buy the most expensive, super lean cuts of meat & the lowest cal option of nearly anything is always the most expensive.

But we are not spending anymore than we were in our wasteful days & we eat better than ever & waste hardly anything.
    • henmuffin
    • By henmuffin 18th Nov 07, 3:30 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    henmuffin
    Using your leftovers, minimising waste
    Hi, I have just seen this really good website which helps you work out quantities of food needed and ideas for using up leftovers, ie minimising waste. Its given me some food for thought !
    www.lovefoodhatewaste.com. I hope it helps some of you folk. Mind you any leftovers we have usually goes to feed my chickens. They are happy with that arrangement. :rolleyes:
    Started comping February 2012
    Wins so far:
    Mascara, dry shampoo, chocolates, Loreal Elvive goody bag.Pot noodle fork , maggi mix, couscous,
  • champys
    henmuffin thank you for alerting us to this valuable website. we don't have chickens yet (need to build them fox-proof housing first), but the few (not-for-compost) scraps we do leave usually go on the bird table. a resident family of magpies thrives on them....
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 18th Nov 07, 10:23 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,924 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Thank you for the website link. I haven't had a proper, indepth look yet, but it looks very useful, indeed.

I try to waste as little as possible. The dinner I had on Friday was made up of different leftovers and other things that wouldn't make up a full portion. It was most delicious and my littlie enjoyed it, too

Lx
    • elona
    • By elona 18th Nov 07, 10:28 PM
    • 11,162 Posts
    • 63,546 Thanks
    elona
    DH was horrified when I stopped him putting a small amount of mince from shepherd's pie in the bin!

"It will be nice on top of a micro baked potato tomorrow" I said - and he just looked scared!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 18th Nov 07, 10:56 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 30,238 Thanks
    D&DD
    DH was horrified when I stopped him putting a small amount of mince from shepherd's pie in the bin!

"It will be nice on top of a micro baked potato tomorrow" I said - and he just looked scared!
    Originally posted by elona
  • rach
    my OH left some pasta with tuna last week and i popped it in a plastic tub and had it for lunch the next day...he said 'it's not the war!' but it worked perfectly for me!
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
    • carole.uk
    • By carole.uk 19th Nov 07, 1:05 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    carole.uk
    Hi, I have just seen this really good website which helps you work out quantities of food needed and ideas for using up leftovers, ie minimising waste. Its given me some food for thought !
    www.lovefoodhatewaste.com. I hope it helps some of you folk. Mind you any leftovers we have usually goes to feed my chickens. They are happy with that arrangement. :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by henmuffin
    thats a great site thanks
    • taplady
    • By taplady 19th Nov 07, 9:33 AM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 73,642 Thanks
    taplady
    thanks for this , I've put it in my favourites, will have a good look at it tomorrow on my day off! have some leftover mash in my fridge now that I might take to work for some cheesy mash!
    Do what you love
  • dont want to be in debt
    Money saving- Less food waste
    Hope this hasn't been covered but as we are really skint the only way to cut back is the cost of food.

I have just found a web site that helps with food portions sizes (a big problem when I cook) and help with leftovers it is

http://wwwlovefoodhatewaste.com

anybody have any other useful websites to make the food go further

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Nov 07, 6:23 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi don't want to be in debt,

There's a recent thread with some links that might help you so I've merged your thread with it. Also have a look at this thread:

Leftovers? Use it up! Don't throw it in the bin!

Pink
    • Fay
    • By Fay 10th Feb 08, 3:20 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    Fay
    New website
    Hi everyone, I just saw a new website advertised from the Delia site and thought I would post it. Sorry if it has already been done, I did a search but could not find it. The site is http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/. I have no idea if you will all find new ideas on there but there are also lots of recipes for left overs.
    • Sazbo
    • By Sazbo 10th Feb 08, 3:39 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 14,628 Thanks
    Sazbo
    Excellent site and some good recipes too. I know I could do with some inspiration on the leftovers front Thanks OP!

Sazx
  • Tashja
    Great website - added to favourites

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - 20.01
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 10th Feb 08, 4:21 PM
    • 17,088 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I think this website was launched last November - linkie to a previous post here.

It's a great website

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • jamtart6
    • By jamtart6 20th Apr 08, 2:22 AM
    • 8,586 Posts
    • 25,443 Thanks
    jamtart6
    Saw this story and thought of you guys...
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1313335,00.html

All about how we should make the most of leftovers etc

Being Thrifty Gifty again this year

• Ice
    I saw this today brian turner was also on and they were also talking about jamie oliver and his new project...it's a good thing...I always write a list of what I need and just stick to that...also as my fridge/freezer is packing in I am having to buy alot of things daily...it has saved me a fortune...on food I spent 25 last week that's about 3.57 aday and I spend about a fiver on other stuff washing up liquid/kitchen towel that sort of stuff...for 2 adult's I don't think that is bad...we had 2 meals a day and plenty of fruit to munch on in between no biscuits or crisps just toasted bread buns for breakfast omlette for lunch and meat & 2 veg for dinner with as much fruit as we could eat in between and didn't cost much at all...all from Lidl...homemade pizza's or bangers and mash...cauilflower cheese or omlettes some kind of variety any how but I was amazed as I only have 40 aweek to feed us both so it was great when I had a tenner left over...so for me it works now all I have to do is start growing my own and that'll knock some more off the shopping bill...

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK!
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th Apr 08, 8:34 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi,

I've added theseposts onto an earlier thread about leftovers, and you may find the following worth a browse:-

leftovers threads here on MoneySaving Old Style
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • moanymoany
    The lovely Margeurite Patten was a friend and neighbour of my husband's godfather - namedropper!

I mostly use leftovers for next day's lunch. I don't know how anyone can chuck food away - you might as well throw pound coins in the bin.

I absolutely agree that a list is essential. I use the most elementary meal planning as when I do it 'properly' I don't stick to it. However, everyone has their own way of doing this. I find internet shopping is perfect for me. I've overcome the fear of not choosing for myself as if something is not to my liking I email them and they deduct it from my payment.

If my oranges, lemons or any citrus are going a bit manky I put them in the freezer and make marmelade out of them when I need some. I don't use anything special in the way of sugar, just what I have in the cupboard.

It aint rocket science
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 20th Apr 08, 4:28 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    as a veggie all my cooking is veg based - vegies that i have not used and are nearing the end of their life are prepared and put in an airtight container in the freezer after a few weeks they become the base of another batch of cooking eg:
    add some stock (marmite i use) and water - soup
    value tomatoes and herbs - pasta sauce
    value toms and spices - curry
    value toms and kidney beans and chilli - veg chilli

i have a number of different ways of serving the meals and the veg is better off in my freezer then in landfill via my wheely bin.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,951Users online

Martin's Twitter