Uni Bursaries

Options

Comments

• nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tergat wrote: »

Q1 - does anyone know when the academic results bursary is paid - i assume its the start of the academic year to help ease cash flows problems?

For this I would contact the university directly - each university will stick to their set of rules, as this will be a local grant of sorts....

It may even be school specific - so she should call the finance people, and let them talk her through it...

In 2nd year she is then eligible to potentially get the NHS bursary.

potentially yes.

Q2. Do I have it right in that in qualifying for this (I assume its the top x% in the country are awarded this) it is on top of the current finances above, i.e it acts as an incentive to get good results and you are given what is basically a reward for this. Surely its not instead of the current bursaries as I dont really see that making any difference (NHS bursary would just replace the current uni bursary, no?)

I am currently a 3rd year sw student, and we all get it. When working as a student ambassador I got the impression that the most 'needy' and deserving students would get it.

This may not necessarily mean that she will get it - it may or may not be linked to results. They may well play a part.

However due to the nature of the course they will be all about equal opps - so people with a disability, or learning difficulties may be put forward - it may be about people who have struggled to get on the course.

It may be about mature students who are changing their lives. There may be some kind of scoring system - they will probably cover this in induction week - as I imagine that 99% of the students will want to know.

The student finance its will be the same (it may go up by about £100 a year though) - the university bursary / grant is again university and course specific - so she needs to speak with them.

Q. I am a student starting an Undergraduate course in September; will I be guaranteed a bursary next year when I go into my second year?
    No, there’s no guarantee of you receiving
    a bursary as there will be a reduced and
    restricted number of
    bursaries offered.
    If you do not receive an allocated bursary you
    may still be eligible for Placement Travel
    Allowance, this is currently £862.50

taken from the bursary website.

Q3. What are the amounts of the NHS bursary, is it means tested, when is it paid etc - struggling to find good info on this

hahahaha took me weeks and I am a returning student - mine is £4575.00 (£575 of which is a travel allowance)

It seems the travel allowance is now £862.50 - so these figures may have changed.

The installment dates mirror those of student finance give or take a few days (the first will always be after the student finance payment as they let them know that you've enrolled)...

Help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hope this helps a bit.

Sorry a lot of the advice is at points to call the university - but each will do it differently.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Options
    We have found that Student Finance pays money in 3 installments over the year, NHS pays monthly for the whole 12 month period.
  • nimbo
    Options
    devildog wrote: »
    We have found that Student Finance pays money in 3 installments over the year, NHS pays monthly for the whole 12 month period.

the three years of my sw degree i have had three payments each year.

Are you training to be a nurse?

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
  • nimbo
    Options
    The bursary is paid in three equal instalments:

• The first instalment will be paid when your application has been assessed as eligible and no later than 10 working days from the date we receive confirmation of your course enrolment, attendance and place on capping list from your HEI, or 10 working days from the date of your bursary notification letter, whichever is the later.
    • The second instalment will normally be paid by 10 January 2014 (11 April 2014 for winter start courses, or 20 June 2014 for spring start courses), as long as you have received your first instalment.
    • The third instalment will normally be paid by 11 April 2014 (1 August 2014 for winter start courses, or 29 August 2014 for spring start courses), as long as you have received your second instalment and we are not waiting for evidence of any estimated income for you or your partner (this will be noted on your award notification).
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/987.aspx

unless they change the system the SW bursary from the NHS will be in three installments - Sept/Oct, Jan and April/May

• Tergat
    Tergat Posts: 818 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nimbo wrote: »
    Hope this helps a bit.

Sorry a lot of the advice is at points to call the university - but each will do it differently.

Cheers for the above advise! Appreciated.

Just on the NHS bursary - did you get this on top of the uni bursary you got or is it instead of them? I think in getting the NHS one my sis would actually be getting less than the current uni ones which would be strange.

I think from 2013 they seem to have cut down on the number of people who are going to get the NHS bursary so will have to see how it plays out. again, the issue was whether this would be granted as well as the uni ones you get.
  • nimbo
    Options
    I don't get a bursary from my university.

Students who receive the full maintenance grant (I don't) get a grant of about £350 - but nothing even nearly as large as the bursaries you have mentioned. And they did get both, but due to the size I think it may be a replacement for the NHS Bursary, but this is only my thought on it...

Sorry I can't help on that front.

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Tergat wrote: »
    Cheers for the above advise! Appreciated.

Just on the NHS bursary - did you get this on top of the uni bursary you got or is it instead of them? I think in getting the NHS one my sis would actually be getting less than the current uni ones which would be strange.

I think from 2013 they seem to have cut down on the number of people who are going to get the NHS bursary so will have to see how it plays out. again, the issue was whether this would be granted as well as the uni ones you get.

See post #7.
  • Tergat
    Tergat Posts: 818 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    See post #7.

Yeah I did see that but it doesnt make much sense. Does it replace both bursaries that my sister will be getting - the standard uni one and academic results based one? If so then its not worth applying for as she will get less money from it.
  • nimbo
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    When you are in receipt of an nhs bursary, you arent entitled to any of the other finance that is available to non nhs students, ie hardship funds, uni based bursaries etc. its nhs bursary and nothing else

My DD is starting uni this year and with maintenance loan, grant and additional uni bursary, she is getting roughly double my nhs bursary. Ok the nhs bursary is free money, but if i had the choice i would rather have access to more money now rather than worry about owing more, when i graduate

this is different for the social work bursary - it is funded through the NHS but fees aren't paid, and loans and grants ARE given.

If I had no study previously I would be entitled to: (as a social work student)
    full fee support a loan of £however much my uni would charge
    maintenance LOAN
    maintenance GRANT - these depend on parental earning if appropriate
    Social work Bursary around £4.5 k - slightly higher in London
    University grant - around £350 at my university.
    Child care paid at 85% (I think) IF I had children, and the care met certain criteria...

Nurses get their fees paid, and a monthly 'income' from the NHS - it works out as less then I get, but it doesn't have to be paid back (or a hell of a lot less does)...

• nimbo
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    See post #7.

although the social work bursary is administered by the NHS it works differently to that for a nurse or midwife.

It is paid in addition to other student finance.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport