PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Foraging Challenge

Comments

• jgh
    jgh Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    perco wrote: »
    Located a wee blackcurrant earlier this year ... realised the leaves smell fantastic. Ferkled on the net and found two recipes on theoldfoodie site.
    I get loads of mint in my garden, and cook with it - I find it cuts down the amount of stomache medicine I need.
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for starting the challenge, Aldahbra :)

And thanks for that foraging calender, JJ. That is saved to my hard drive now :)

I have already finished a lavender jelly jar and we have a huge elderflower one still open. The girls love them if they have morning toast. My rose infused water is ready for making rose jelly today so will get on with that at some point. I use a 750ml water soaked with flower heads then 750ml jam sugar (the one with pectin in because I'm still a novice at floral preserves and didn't want to risk my first batches.)

Does anyone have any knowledge of red flowering currants??? I have a huge bush of it in my garden which produces a ton of berries in the summer. I have read a few places on the web that they are edible, though not dreadfully flavoursome, and a North American tribe used to eat them if there were no tastier berries lol! (Not a concern to me really, as they can be mixed with other flavours but don't want to waste anything edible and nutritious unless it was full of flavour and that flavour was vile!) Another couple of sites I came across listed them as inedible, but not in the poisonous lists, so I wondered if that is just because they do not have much flavour rather than dangerous. Apparently birds and rabbits love them. Basically, does anyone have any further knowledge to offer on this one? I hate seeing the berries just rot every summer :( I would probably have given it a go this year just myslef in case, but being pregnant I don't want to risk it without any reassurance from more knowledgable people!
    Love and compassion to all x
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    I'm glad you posted this I was wondering how you made a link which was hidden behind a label. I was going to ask how you did it but I can see in the quote how it was done, thanks.

I don't suppose you know how to link to a specific reply in a thread do you?

If you click on the # on the top right of the post, it will open up that post individually. Then just copy the url and save it as 'then change the name accordingly'.

Thats how I do would do it. Have a play and see!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jumblejack
    edited 4 July 2012 at 9:11AM
    Boodle wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the challenge, Aldahbra :)

And thanks for that foraging calender, JJ. That is saved to my hard drive now :)

I have already finished a lavender jelly jar and we have a huge elderflower one still open. The girls love them if they have morning toast. My rose infused water is ready for making rose jelly today so will get on with that at some point. I use a 750ml water soaked with flower heads then 750ml jam sugar (the one with pectin in because I'm still a novice at floral preserves and didn't want to risk my first batches.)

Does anyone have any knowledge of red flowering currants??? I have a huge bush of it in my garden which produces a ton of berries in the summer. I have read a few places on the web that they are edible, though not dreadfully flavoursome, and a North American tribe used to eat them if there were no tastier berries lol! (Not a concern to me really, as they can be mixed with other flavours but don't want to waste anything edible and nutritious unless it was full of flavour and that flavour was vile!) Another couple of sites I came across listed them as inedible, but not in the poisonous lists, so I wondered if that is just because they do not have much flavour rather than dangerous. Apparently birds and rabbits love them. Basically, does anyone have any further knowledge to offer on this one? I hate seeing the berries just rot every summer :( I would probably have given it a go this year just myslef in case, but being pregnant I don't want to risk it without any reassurance from more knowledgable people!

Thanks so much for asking this. I have wondered this myself occasionally as we have 2 plants in the garden but more for the look of them.

There is a great link here:
    http://www.backyardnature.net/n/w/currant.htm

It seems that they are not the tastiest berry but are indeed edible. More research is needed I think to search out recipes....

Ps, wait for others to share their results first before you experiment though. If we rate it highly with no negative consequences then go for it!!

BTw, can't wait to hear the verdict on the jam :)
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks JJ :) That is one of the pages I had read while researching. I agree that it seems edible just not dreadully tasty. I had just planned to jam it up with a more flavoursome berry. According to your calendar ;) I see my hawthorn and rowan will fruit around the same time so I could use those.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    I am so excited to see how this thread has taken off!!!! Fantastic!

We will be doing our first forage on Sunday (possibly Saturday if we catch any fish/crab from the sea) - like many others I am not sure where to start but I figure a walk in the countryside is a good place ;)

We have a tree which has small apples in an oval shape on them, crab i presume? (Not out yet, planning ahead) What do you do with crab apples as they are bitter aren't they?

Thanks!
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • jumblejack
    edited 4 July 2012 at 11:28AM
    I am so excited to see how this thread has taken off!!!! Fantastic!

We will be doing our first forage on Sunday (possibly Saturday if we catch any fish/crab from the sea) - like many others I am not sure where to start but I figure a walk in the countryside is a good place ;)

We have a tree which has small apples in an oval shape on them, crab i presume? (Not out yet, planning ahead) What do you do with crab apples as they are bitter aren't they?

Thanks!

Apparently crab apples are the business for adding to jams for a good set. I have yet to try it myself but will not hesitate if I find some!

Someone collected a few good recipes here:
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/season-taste/crabapple-crab-apple-recipes_39082.html

Enjoy a productive weekend. Don't forget to search for sea beets whilst you are at the seaside! I LOVE them now!!! Use them in place of greens or spinach. Great for soups, curries, side veg, omelettes, quiche, etc.

If you like pickling then rock samphire is VERY abundant at the seaside. It's everywhere!

Let us share your successes with you ;)
  • Make some crab apple jelly - it's the easiest jam in the world. Wash the apples and cut them in bits (halves if they are little ones). No need to peel or core them. Put into a large pan and just cover with water then bring to the boil and simmer for about half an hour, until they soften a little. Put all the pulp and water from the pan through a jelly bag (an old pillowcase is brill) and leave it hung up until it stops dripping. Measure the amount of juice you have and put it back into the pon with 1lb of sugar for each pint of juice. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and you can't feel the crystals on the bottom of the pan and cook until it reaches setting point. Pot in sterilized jars. I make every year and it is lovely as a spread, also it adds lots of flavour to the sauce in casseroles and stews. Not bad for free eh?
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi - not a forager as such but this thread has inspired me to go and grab a load of the honeysuckle flowers that are starting to fall off of the tree out the back. Now, I've read that the berries are poisonous but Ive also been spending ages taking the stamen out - do I need to bother?
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • jumblejack
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    Hi - not a forager as such but this thread has inspired me to go and grab a load of the honeysuckle flowers that are starting to fall off of the tree out the back. Now, I've read that the berries are poisonous but Ive also been spending ages taking the stamen out - do I need to bother?

Well done:j

Looks like there are loads of recipes out there for honeysuckle. I fancy the sorbet option:
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/back-to-the-basics-hope-for-the-best-prepare-for-the-worst/honeysuckle-heres-some-recipes-to-try-next-time-they-bloom/10150290286345242

None of the recipes mention removing the stamen so less work which is better!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family