PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Foraging - Natures Food

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    luckily a lot of people wont go blackberrying in a graveyard! I am going to pop down tomorrow armed with several ice cream cartons and wearing my boots and thickest long sleeve Tshirts! and a bunch of roses to lay one on each of my rellies graves. thats if it isnt raining!
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    not ready up here in Scotland yet but i will deff be picking them again when they are

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What's the best way to get rid of any grubs on blackberries, anyone? I picked some last year, and was totally put off when I saw grub (little worm-like things) squirming out of some. I had just eaten a few as well! Made me feel quite yuk with the thought I might have eaten a grub too! I do love blackberries, but even after washing in a colander with cold water and soaking, the grub things were still there. We have plenty just waiting to be picked where I work.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I soak them in salted water. That makes the little wrigglers come out.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've just used up the last of the frozen blackberries in time, as they're starting to ripen here. We've a large bush in our garden and there are quite a few spots in our village that hardly seem touched by most people - they mustn't be interested here! Also been invited to raid a friend's private garden - there are millions, I swear, enough for the most hopeless addict. I have freed up my spare freezer in readiness! :)

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have just woken up to the pleasure of brambling - wild are much nicer than shop-bought, the splinters are well worth it!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ive collected about 6LB now, Im going to make wine with mine. A lady I talked to on the park this morning said she was making blackberry vinegar with hers, she uses it on yorkshire puds. I made some I use for sore throats and salad dressings.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It reminds me of making giant kilner jars of jam when we were little with our mum who used to collect bags full of them. I quite like just eating them now, or sometimes make jam or put them with apples in a pie. Fortunately I'm about two meters tall so can get the difficult to reach ones :)
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Am itching to go picking again, only 750gms last week but they are calling to me as we drive past the bridge. Must look up how to make the blackberry vinegar.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Has anyone found any sloes in the Blackpool area? We are struggling to locate any without travelling!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure