Thomas Cook Refunds - Virgin Credit Card

Has anyone received refunds for Thomas Cook flights from Virgin Credit Card? I know others received refund within 2 weeks of submitting forms but I submitted 4 weeks ago - I am told I have to wait until the retailer responds and then they will consider my claim. (retailer Thomas Cook have 45 days to respond)?? Thanks.

Comments

• I think, you need to wait until the retailer responds...
  • Thanks - that's what they said although another Virgin Customer told me they received a refund straight away. They must have slipped through the procedures.
  • What you have been told (if you've reported it accurately) is perhaps 'half-cocked' - but, then, not all credit card issuers are created equal. It sounds like Virgin has raised a Chargeback for you. Thomas Cook's card-processing bank has a number of days to refute the Chargeback claim and that is what Virgin are alluding to.

They could credit your account straight away on the basis that it may be re-debited if the Chargeback fails. However, I find it hard to understand how the Chargeback could fail - unless Virgin makes an error with the processing, or some information you have provided isn't accurate.

Virgin should have the confidence in their own abilities to handle these Chargebacks properly and to credit your account up-front - but their policy would seem to be to err on the side of caution - either that or they're snowed under and just fobbing you off.

At the end of the day, if you didn't get what you paid for, you should be getting your money back, so I'd try not to worry.
  • I’m still waiting from calling them on 24 September. They said they then sent me forms (not received). They were resent and it was extremely annoying that these just seemed to want the exact same details that were given on the phone... They’ve had these for at least 6 weeks now and still nothing.

Should take a leaf out of Amex’ book, sort the customer out then deal with the admin. I’d be surprised if this met the requirements of the PRAs to treat customers fairly - there is no way a vulnerable customer could put up with this convoluted process.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    ifu05596 wrote: »
    I’m still waiting from calling them on 24 September. They said they then sent me forms (not received). They were resent and it was extremely annoying that these just seemed to want the exact same details that were given on the phone... They’ve had these for at least 6 weeks now and still nothing.

Should take a leaf out of Amex’ book, sort the customer out then deal with the admin. I’d be surprised if this met the requirements of the PRAs to treat customers fairly - there is no way a vulnerable customer could put up with this convoluted process.
    You are not the OP so we have no idea about your individual problem but instead of resurecting this dead thread perhaps you should have given Virgin a call to see what is happening with your problem, whatever that problem may be.
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    You are not the OP so we have no idea about your individual problem but instead of resurecting this dead thread perhaps you should have given Virgin a call to see what is happening with your problem, whatever that problem may be.

Well what an unhelpful reply (I see that some others think likewise from looking at other threads you comment in).

I haven’t had a look at the forum rules but I do not need to be the Op to comment do I? Isn’t a forum a place for people to discuss things, perhaps people who have experienced similar issues? I came across this and would perhaps be interested in whether this has been resolved for Terry, redberry or Gary (or others).

Apologies for not spelling it out but I would have thought the title of the thread (Thomas Cook Refunds - Virgin Credit Card) would have made it (extremely) clear to anyone reading it. If you’d be up for a discussion on the matter, I could fill you in on the ins and outs of my discussion with Virgin (before I posted the initial post).

As an aside, and something I feel passionate about, it’s a shame that keyboard warriors are trolling through with comments like this - some people have mental health issues where ‘get back in your box’ type responses just really aren’t helpful to receive. Thankfully it doesn’t affect me, but if you’ve nothing helpful to say, then perhaps just keep on scrolling!
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Well what an unhelpful reply (I see that some others think likewise from looking at other threads you comment in).

I haven’t had a look at the forum rules but I do not need to be the Op to comment do I? Isn’t a forum a place for people to discuss things, perhaps people who have experienced similar issues? I came across this and would perhaps be interested in whether this has been resolved for Terry, redberry or Gary (or others).

Apologies for not spelling it out but I would have thought the title of the thread (Thomas Cook Refunds - Virgin Credit Card) would have made it (extremely) clear to anyone reading it. If you’d be up for a discussion on the matter, I could fill you in on the ins and outs of my discussion with Virgin (before I posted the initial post).

As an aside, and something I feel passionate about, it’s a shame that keyboard warriors are trolling through with comments like this - some people have mental health issues where ‘get back in your box’ type responses just really aren’t helpful to receive. Thankfully it doesn’t affect me, but if you’ve nothing helpful to say, then perhaps just keep on scrolling!
    Well at least I took the trouble to reply to you and my reply was the only one that you got.
    The advice was also sound. If you have been waiting since late September for a development from Virgin give them a call and enquire about the progress of your issue.
  • ifu05596
    ifu05596 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Well at least I took the trouble to reply to you and my reply was the only one that you got.
    The advice was also sound. If you have been waiting since late September for a development from Virgin give them a call and enquire about the progress of your issue.

My issue is the same as the Ops...

Since we are giving unsolicited feedback, how condescending... I have called them multiple times - did you honestly think I would just ask randoms online and not the company for a status update/resolution? As i said earlier very welcome to keep scrolling, you are not obliged to reply!

If you would like to know the latest status - they ahve not updated the status from 'recieved'. I wanted to ask what others experience has been to better arm me with information for my next call. Seems like I'm not allowed to do that though so I'll just be getting back to the day job!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2019 at 7:48PM
    I’m still waiting from calling them on 24 September. They said they then sent me forms (not received). They were resent and it was extremely annoying that these just seemed to want the exact same details that were given on the phone... They’ve had these for at least 6 weeks now and still nothing.

Amex do not work in the same way as Visa or Mastercard. Both who require paperwork signed by the cardholder.

What have they not received?
    How long since you sent them anything?

You are asked the questions to ensure that you have a valid claim. Then Virgin have to follow the regulations.

Where does treating customers fairly come into this? You have to remember that Visa & Mastercard regulations are over & above you consumer rights. So things take as long as they do and there is nothing the PRA can do.

You are not helping your cause by being so rude to people taking their own time to respond.
    People such as Ben, me & others responding, working in the banking industry and risking our jobs, to help others.
    Life in the slow lane
  • born_again wrote: »
    Amex do not work in the same way as Visa or Mastercard. Both who require paperwork signed by the cardholder.

What have they not received?
    How long since you sent them anything?

You are asked the questions to ensure that you have a valid claim. Then Virgin have to follow the regulations.

Where does treating customers fairly come into this? You have to remember that Visa & Mastercard regulations are over & above you consumer rights. So things take as long as they do and there is nothing the PRA can do.

You are not helping your cause by being so rude to people taking their own time to respond.
    People such as Ben, me & others responding, working in the banking industry and risking our jobs, to help others.

Thanks for your reply. I totally get there needs to be an audit trail (I work in the financial services industry in banking and insurance). I don’t get why it needs to be posted out and returned. No online portal, no email option. It seems unnecessarily complicated. They emailed me to tell me Thomas Cook had gone into administration but in order to process the claim they needed me to write that down and print off a copy of the notice on the Thomas Cook website to say so. I rang and explained that I didn’t have access to a printer (genuinely I didn’t for the a week days that followed that as I was way). There was no alternative, how many older or vulnerable people do you think would have just given up at this point?

When I say treating customer fairly, I mean it in the broadest sense, you have to make your products and processes fair, easily understood and accessed. The FCA are interested in this. I’m sure the PRA would also be interested if they suddenly find that the bank owes a load of section 75 claims in 10 years time (PPI mark II...).

My replies weren’t meant to be rude. They were to highlight that I didn’t really find them useful. Rather they came across as smug. Of course I called Virgin, I didn’t need to be told that. I definitely didn’t need to be told that twice. Perhaps I didn’t need to say that others found such replies unhelpful too, that was just my interpretation of some other posts/replies - for that I apologise.

24/9 virgin emailed me to say they noticed a TC transaction on my account
    24/9 I called and they registered the claim
    10/10 I called to ask for progress - no update
    21/10 I called to ask for progress, I was advised case was closed as I hadn’t returned the forms (not received). This was reopened and I was advised that a form would be posted out for me to complete.
    5/11 I received the form and it had a deadline return date of 5/11.
    5/11 I called and they extended it by 2 weeks
    24/11 I called and it was ‘being worked on’
    5/12 I called and it was being worked on. I registered a complaint at how long the process was taken and that there was a lack of updates etc.
    9/12 I finally got a call this afternoon to apologise for the wait, for my refund and £50 in resolution.

My wife had a transaction with Monarch at the time - TSB Avios MasterCard. Returned the money on the spot and there was some details taken over the phone. If I recall there was an email address to send the flight confirmation email to - all dealt with in 10/15 minutes. Not 70 odd days.

Thanks for replying (genuinely)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport