Shoddy boiler installation

Hi all

I think I know the answer but thought I would ask anyway and also get a rough idea on price. Moved into my house 4 years ago. When buying the property, the previous owner could not provide a gas and safety certificate. The estate agents told me something along the lines of the owners friend installing the boiler so she paid cash and when paying cash, you don't get a certificate. Naive me thought nothing of it and bought the house anyway. Didn't even cross my mind to pay someone to do a check.

4 years later, the pressure keeps dropping to zero after the heating being on. Called someone out to check it out and he almost had a heart attack. The flute on the outside was not sealed, wires at the back were just hanging down and worst of all, the pipe that is supposed to release pressure to the outside of the house (onto the wall or into soil) was simply pointing down INSIDE THE HOUSE straight on to the floor. The guy had to turn off our gas supply as he could not leave it as it is. His recommendation was to get the entire thing pulled out, serviced and reinstalled if I could not afford to buy a new boiler.

So, no gas in the middle of winter and with another child on the way. He also said that, due to him only recently receiving his license, he would not feel comfortable fixing it up (but would do installing a new one?) and advised me to look for someone else.

My question is -

1. How much should it roughly cost to essentially reinstall the boiler? Though he does not want to do it, he did say it will cost around £350 and that does not include materials, parts and if the problem with the pressure is beyond what is normally sorted/cleaned in a service.

2. Do I have a case at all against the previous owner or estate agent? Or is it simply a case I bought it as is and tough luck?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JackeeBoy wrote: »

2. Do I have a case at all against the previous owner or estate agent? Or is it simply a case I bought it as is and tough luck?

Yep it's tough luck. There is no legal reason for a private owner to have a gas safety certificate, or servicing, or any inspection.
    Your due diligence should have picked up any problems, and not only with the heating!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • The flue can be sealed around quite easily. If it was as bad as he claims, you'd have noticed a significant draught or noise.

PRV pipe can also be easily done.

As for wires, hanging, plenty of 'professional' installers don't do the neatest job either.

You can get those things done & then get a gas safe certificate if you're worried.
  • 2. Do I have a case at all against the previous owner or estate agent? Or is it simply a case I bought it as is and tough luck?

Every estate agent covers themselves in their T&C regards descriptions. The onus is on you to check. The previous owner did tell the truth regards fitment so nothing you can do there. There's no guarantee on serviceability given.
  • JackeeBoy
    JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The flue can be sealed around quite easily. If it was as bad as he claims, you'd have noticed a significant draught or noise.

PRV pipe can also be easily done.

As for wires, hanging, plenty of 'professional' installers don't do the neatest job either.

You can get those things done & then get a gas safe certificate if you're worried.

Thanks all. Rough idea on cost?
  • What did your solicitor say about the lack of paperwork?
  • Thanks all. Rough idea on cost?

Depends where you are but it's not particularly hard work. You'd simply use a heat-resistant sealant around the flue which even a DIYer can do.

The PRV just needs a hole drilled in the wall and pipe connected or soldered to the outside.

Then a gas safety certicate would be about £50 or less. Plenty of companies online.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Basically what you should have done, or now know for next time, is to either insist on the seller getting a gas safety certificate as part of your offer, or start the buying process in winter so that you have the house for summer and can make sure everything is ready for the next winter...

There is no particular need to get a certificate now - if the person who fixes it seems trustworthy (reviews, checkatrade) then you'd hope they will do a good job, whether they also provide a certificate or not. At least, they will be giving you an invoice saying they did the work.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What did your solicitor say about the lack of paperwork?

There was no lack. The certs are simply not required for a private house.

The ONLY cert a vendor must provide is an EPC
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Thanks all. I've learnt a lot of lessons when it comes to buying a house after this and other experiences. We actually overpaid for it as it did not need a lot, if any, work done. Turns out however that the husband of the previous owner (who had passed before we bought it) was a bit of a DIY enthusiast and has messed up most things in the house.

Called another expert this morning and he said I'll be better off getting a new boiler as to fix this one up to standard will require it to be removed and reinstalled (not a lot of working room below). Starting to get quite cold now but the real headache is the lack of a hot shower. May have to cancel a meeting tomorrow as I don't think I could brave another cold shower.
  • Alter_ego wrote: »
    There was no lack. The certs are simply not required for a private house.

The ONLY cert a vendor must provide is an EPC

I never said they were a must, but any decent solicitor would query fans, gas, electric, planning and building control paperwork.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure