Mobile 'phone for hard of hearing - how to search.

Options
2»

Comments

• Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2019 at 5:31AM
    Options
    Thank you very much, acc. It sounds really good. Would the Moto G7 Power voice 75.8 mean that it is very much louder than (mac.d's helpful link in post #2) 35 dB ones suitable for hard of hearing?

If that is how to compare, the 75.8 would be much louder than loudspeaker 35 dB and ideal for me. I don't have any difficulty hearing the ringing tone so the main help for me is the better/increased loudspeaker volume - the longer battery time is a really good bonus.

Maybe I wasn't asking 'Google' the correct question to search because I did not find the good comparison you found

.... Not sleeping and only just read your quick reply from yesterday evening. Thank you again, acc.

Retired at 55
  • acc
    acc Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Would the Moto G7 Power voice 75.8 mean that it is very much louder than (mac.d's helpful link in post #2) 35 dB ones suitable for hard of hearing?

If that is how to compare, the 75.8 would be much louder than loudspeaker 35 dB and ideal for me. I don't have any difficulty hearing the ringing tone so the main help for me is the better/increased loudspeaker volume.
    35 db is actually very quiet, slightly above a whisper.

80-85 db is the level above which there is risk of permanent damage to hearing.

Websites such as Hearing Aid Know give examples of loudness.

Aircraft at take-off (180)
    Fireworks (140)
    Snowmobile (120)
    Chain saw (110)
    Amplified music (110)
    Lawn mower (90)
    Noisy office (90)
    Vacuum cleaner (80)
    City traffic (80)
    Normal conversation (60)
    Refrigerator humming (40)
    Whisper (20)
    Leaves rustling (10)
    Calm breathing (10)
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 8 December 2019 at 5:14PM
    Options
    That is interesting, thanks, acc. Post #13 - As Normal conversation (60) then the up to 75.8 loudspeaker on Moto G7 Power will be louder for me to hear and is what I need - better handset loudspeaker volume than on my present Moto G5.

I like my Moto G5 but with worsening hearing I cannot hear convensations well enough any more. Most of the time I rely on text but it will be good to be able to use the mobile for 'ordinary' conversation calls too. Many people with hearing loss are able to compensate with the use of hearing aids but often (most of the time) I cannot use my aid. - I have several problems including significant scarring in both ear canals because of psoriasis.

Thank you for helpful reply, acc, and the link to check Hearing Aid Know. It makes sense because I can hear the 'phone ringing with no problem, which I now understand, from your link, is 80 dB, but don't hear normal conversation level.

Retired at 55
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How about big comfy over the ear headphones with a mic and Bluetooth connection? They don’t need to be very expensive. And paired with a decent spec phone you could use live listen feature.
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 9 December 2019 at 7:40AM
    Options
    How about big comfy over the ear headphones with a mic and Bluetooth connection? They don’t need to be very expensive. And paired with a decent spec phone you could use live listen feature.

Thanks for your suggestion and it is good of you to reply. I'm in my 70's and prefer to be able to use the 'phone when needed as 'easily' as possible - when I am out I need a woolly hat on and, indoors, I need to hear the door and the TV! I don't think headphones would be just right for me.

I hope to buy the Moto G7 Power and hope transferring the sim card from my Moto G5 will keep my contacts, existing text messages, Whatsapp and apps - maybe I am too hopeful! I know mobiles are not magic. I am not good with technology - but better than I used to be with great help on the forums here.

Thanks again for replying.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    I bought the Moto G7 Power at the EE shop. It cost £129.99 and £10 for a £10 PAYG sim card. I don't need the sim card but it may come in handy for someone else - or to keep in my (now) old Moto G5.

The service and help from EE was excellent and they transferred my Apps, Contacts and practically everything across from my Moto G5 to the Moto G7 Power - it took their time but worthwhile as a job well done and much appreciated.

I'm just beginning to get used to the new 'phone but the sound (loudspeaker) is very much better than my Moto G5.

Thank you for all the information and help - it is very much appreciated.

Retired at 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport