PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Leftover Gammon

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Jo,

It will make great sandwiches, or it's lovely reheated in the oven, wrapped in tinfoil with a little of the leftover juices and served with a cheese sauce.

We have an older thread that will give you a few more ideas: Leftover Gammon

I'll merge your thread with that one later as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Next time you cook a gammon, save the cooking liquor (I use apple juice) and use it as a base for soup. I make a fab chunky veg and ham soup with the leftovers. Absolutely deelish. Can put pieces of ham in if there are any left, or just use the ham flavoured stock as the base.
  • gerretl
    gerretl Posts: 427 Forumite
    My mum used to make pear bean and ham soup. Tinned pears, some frozen beans, and the ham.
    Very unusual, but worth a try.
    "Don't critisise what people look like, how they speak, where they are from, and what they are called. They cannot help it.
    Do critisise what they say, and what they do, especially if what they say is different to what they do. They can help that"

Anon

"Life is the three weeks and six days between paydays" - gerretl

£2 savers club =£42
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Had my leftover gammon tonight- diced and baked in mash potato and cheese- lovely cheesy potato pie!
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 580 Forumite
    I know you've already eaten it but I often make a carbonara sauce for pasta with bits of left over gammon - just a cheese sauce & chopped up gammon. I'm veggie so don't eat it but DH says it's really nice.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If I've only a small piece left I chop it into small dice. Add it to a pan with chopped tomatoes or passata, chopped courgettes, mushrooms,leeks, carrots (for some reason I always use tinned carrots for this, it's the only thing I use them for), add seasoning and oregano and basil, simmer till all the veg are tender and serve with pasta or rice. Yummy.

You could add peppers (which make me ill) and aubergine as well to make a sort of ratatouille with ham.
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    We bought a lovely piece of gammon and I roasted it in the week, thinking we could use the leftsovers for salads and sandwiches BUT is is too salty for that. We spent a lot of money on it so I dont want to waste it. Can you recommend a very easy recipe that I can use for the leftovers, hopefully disguising the salty taste with a sauce?

I am usually quite good with leftovers (Made fantastic spicy chilli beef with left over joint of Beef in the week) but really dont know what to do with this damn gammon!

Thanks for your time.
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Dont know of one with sauce but I would use it in omlettes or ham and musroom taglitelli.

I sure more people will be along with lots more ideas. Think there is left over gammon recipes in the indexed collections also.
  • Paige
    Paige Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could make a simple tom sauce, roast fresh toms cut in quarters with a couple of cloves of garlic and olive oil for about 40 mins, then add some chopped gammon, blitz it together and serve with pasta.
    Cube it and roast in the oven with some cubed bread, olive oil and garlic for about 10 mins and use as a tasty topping for soups.
    Dont for get that you can cube it and freeze it to use in any future cooking. Paige X
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Mrs Optimist

Youmentioned that your ham was very salty...I was just wondering if you remembered to put the uncooked gammon into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then empty the water away. Then use fresh water to cook?

Sorry if I'm mentioning something you already knew...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure