PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making gravy when you haven't had a roast. How?

Options

Comments

• Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    soy sauce is a good substitute for oxo etc, I haven't used a stock cube in decades

make sure you check the label first though, some brands have MSG & other additives in them
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    For chicken I make gravy with cornflour, chicken stock cube and 50% milk and 50% water. Or if I have made yorkshire puds I just thicken the stock with some of the yorkshire pudding mixture, (for beef as well as chicken). Just make sure you add the hot liquid to the left over mixture while stirring constantly, then bring back to the boil, again continuing to stir and simmer for about 2 minutes.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly off-topic but I do miss Bisto Chicken gravy powder. All you can get now is their original gravy powder, which is too dark for my liking. Nowadays I use half/half bisto and cornflour so my chicken gravy is well, chicken coloured! I do use HM stock so at least I don't have evil Oxo to contend with. Gravy granules are OK for an emergency but they make every meal taste the same.

If I can track down a contact address for Bisto I'll email them and ask about bringing back the chicken powder. It can't do any harm and they might even send me some vouchers ;)

The best gravy I ever ate was the time I roasted a chicken and a small ham in the same pan so the meat juices mingled. You wouldn't believe how yummy it was, I could happily have eaten a plate full of just mash and gravy :D
  • jamescredmond
    Options
    I'm fed up of instant gravy and hoping that someone can help me make my own.
    bangers and mash tonight.any help much appreciated and apologies if this question has been asked before.
    miladdo
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I'm not going to be of much help but I think you need the juices from a roast, mainly so these taste and enough juice to start with.

We don't very oftern have a roast, infact I think the last one was Turkey last December :D
    So I always us Bisto, which I know isn't OS but if you don't have the roast in the first place :confused:

We love bangers and mash with gravy - Hungry now.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Oxo cube, 1 tbsp Bisto powder, 1tbsp plain flour. Mix into a paste, top up to 1/2 pint, heat in saucepan, stiring all the time. Add meat juices and the drained green cabbage juices to get required thickness.:)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Pipkin
    Pipkin Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a good cook, but I managed to make a really nice gravy the other day:

I took 2 cloves of crushed garlic and gently softened them in some oil,
    added the juices from a roast, one stock cube crumbled up, and some hot water (I think a dash of worcester sauce too),which was then thickened with a paste made from cornflour and water (made like the the bisto paste mentioned in the preceeding post).

I know without roast juices it would not be quite so tasty, but still ok I should think, perhaps made better by adding an extra stockcube?
    M.A.C.A.W member number 39 :D

Those who are inclined to casual cruelty say that inside a fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Terry Pratchett
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I made some yesterday to go with bangers and mash. Off the top of my head it was

2 onions sliced (slowly cooked for 1/2 an hour in a knob of butter).
    Add 1 tablespoon of flour stir for a couple of minutes
    Add 75ml red wine or masala (you can leave this out and just add stock if you wish)
    250ml stock
    A dash of worcester and salt and pepper

Leave to bubble slowly for 15 minutes. It was very thick and rich.
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Basic Gravy
    Whatever juices are in the roasting pan
    1pt stock(ideally water from the vegetables)/wine/water and stock cube
    1tbsp Plain Flour and slightly more of fat (hopefully there should be enough in the tin otherwise add some oil/dripping etc.

Put the roasting pan over the heat until it's sizzling, add the flour and stir briskly into the fat and juices. You'll need to be pretty asssertive in your stirring as well as this stops lumps. You should end up with something like a thick paste and it should be sizzling too (this is a roux).
    Start stiring in the stock a little at a time. It should amalgamate with the roux and loosen up. Keep stiring and adding, the mixture should be bubbling all the time, it can't be done cold or cool. Each time you mix in some stock ensure it's all mixed in.

That's gravy.:D

If it's too thick add a little more stock, if it's too thin simmer it until it reduces and thickens up.

Cheat :D - use cornflour and do the same thing, it shouldn't form lumps at all. just keep mixing!

if you want it particularly flavoursome add a halved onion to the roast while you cook it. It also makes it darker

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Whoops!
    Just noticed it was sausages! Fry a sliced onion with the sausages until caramelised (browned nicely) and then once the sausages are ready do the same as the full gravy recipie with the frying pan as the roasting tin!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure