PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince Pies

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    i was going to make mince pies like eccles cakes this year, see how that works out, using puff pastry
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I love mince pies...nobody else eats them so I tend to eat whatever I make, which is silly, as I get the most horrible indigestion afterwards. Trying to convince myself that I will make none this year, but I know that I will give in at some stage in the next six weeks....weak or what??

Anyone got any ideas on avoiding the indigestion? I have tried using butter, margarine and even oil in pastry, have used homemade, cheap and luxury mincemeat so lost at this stage

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    meanmarie wrote: »
    I love mince pies...nobody else eats them so I tend to eat whatever I make, which is silly, as I get the most horrible indigestion afterwards. Trying to convince myself that I will make none this year, but I know that I will give in at some stage in the next six weeks....weak or what??

Anyone got any ideas on avoiding the indigestion? I have tried using butter, margarine and even oil in pastry, have used homemade, cheap and luxury mincemeat so lost at this stage

Marie

I make mini filo parcels sometimes for my mum as she has the same prob..I use Delias mincemeat recipe then roll out the filo pastry cut into 5" (approx)squares and place one straight then turn the next one 45 degrees place a dollop of mincemeat in the middle then pull the points up and twist gently to seal.Can't remember whose book or mag(might be a delia one??) I got this out of but they look great with a dusting of icing sugar :D You can also do cracker shapes..
  • Hello All,

Im after a yummy mincepie recipe! OH LOVES mince pies, we always buy loads, MIL always makes him a batch throughout xmas & boy dont i hear about it all the time!!

In the lst week ive Home Cooked like a good un & OH has been so impressed (Twinks biscuits etc)

I want a brilliant recipe that i can russle up a batch every week! (to beat hers!!)(childish i know but im the only gal in his life!)

Shes away for 2 weeks so whaen she gets back i wanna be already experienced baker in them with some in the frezzer to cook at anytime!!!

Going to buy a fairy cake tray thing today!

*Im not a real b**ch just have a really over the top MIL!!!*

x

Thank you all!!
    2010 is my DO IT year! grow own bits,savvy shopping,organised!!Get a hobby!!! be fit!! be happy!!
    Saving all change & paying off debts!!
    constantly looking to save money!!! all help needed!!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Hello All,

Im after a yummy mincepie recipe! OH LOVES mince pies, we always buy loads, MIL always makes him a batch throughout xmas & boy dont i hear about it all the time!!

In the lst week ive Home Cooked like a good un & OH has been so impressed (Twinks biscuits etc)

I want a brilliant recipe that i can russle up a batch every week! (to beat hers!!)(childish i know but im the only gal in his life!)

Shes away for 2 weeks so whaen she gets back i wanna be already experienced baker in them with some in the frezzer to cook at anytime!!!

Going to buy a fairy cake tray thing today!

*Im not a real b**ch just have a really over the top MIL!!!*

x

Thank you all!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I wish you well in your quest sunshine and hope you find a recipe that out-does any mince pie your OH has ever tasted.

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi sunshine,

This thread may help so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

This thread may be useful too:

The best mince pie pastry ever?

Good luck! I hope yours taste great!

Pink
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

Got the delia xmas book, shall I use her recipe or is there anything better (simpler)?

I like it lighter & nuttier rather thank dark & black, can I omit the peel or so of it for extra nuts? Was thinking of swapping the peel for walnuts?

I've never made mincemeat before so an idiots recipe is what I need.

Bit worried about Delias fermenting apples:confused:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you

I'm still unclear about this sterilising?

If I only want to keep it two weeks do I still need to sterilise the jar?

If I don't use booze I guess it won't last long, will it last the two weeks?
  • Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    This will probably get me drummed out of the OS brownies but........

I have before now bought a large jar of value mincemeat and turned it out into a bigger kilner jar then added lots of ground nuts, orange zest and chopped up apple (nice for a lighter mincemeat mix) and then stuck in a load of brandy (or you could do orange juice or good apple juice). Then leave for a week or so, turning the jar from time to time. I'd just dishwasher a jar and use it straight away - that's sterile enough for a couple of weeks.

I'm sure posting on the OS board you're committed to making your own pastry. However, if I'm too busy before Xmas, I buy some chilled pastry and, instead of using flour on the board for rolling out, use ground almonds.

I guess it is not an answer to the 'from scratch' question, more a 'cheat's guide to making it taste like from scratch'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure