PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to roast a whole chicken?

Comments

• Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Pavlovs_dog :hello:

This is how i do mine every time bar none and it always turns out fabulous :D

Unwrap your chuck, take off the string, don't bother washing it (I never thought you had to anyway)

Stick it in a roasting tray and fill the tray up half way with boiling water, put a clove of garlic in the water (crushed) and a chopped onion.

Shove the tray in the oven on about 200F (Everything i cook goes on this :))

Meanwhile while it's in the oven peel your spuds, cut them into desired roast spud shapes and shove them in some water.

Par boil them (Whack up the heat for 5-10 mins and let them boil )

Empty out the water from the sacepan and stick a lid / plate on the top of the saucepan, now SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE :rotfl: this will ruffle up the outside of the spuds, this gives you your crispy bits :drool:

After the chuck has been in the oven for about half an hour stick in the spuds (Top of the oven chuck at the bottom.

Give the chuck a bit of a basting.

After 45 mins - 1 hour the chicken will be cooked, maybe more depending on your oven.

Take out the chuck and stick it on a plate and cover it with something to let it rest.

Meanwhile with the water in the tray drain off the garlic and onion and chuck it away (Or blend it) stick in a few spoonsful of gravy granules and VOILA, the best tasting gravy ever :eek: i know people say about real gravy but i tried it once and i'm afraid it didn't do anything for me sorry :o

My roasts turn out perfect every time, juicy meat and crispy spuds :)

Works the same with Beef / Lamb / Pork too :D
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    just wanted to update - the chuck has turned out beautifully, with lovely tender meat. im making a one pot sunday lunch for four, a cajun casserole for two and then french onion soup with the stock. not as rubber as some of the more seasoned OSers, but a valiant start :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • just wanted to update - the chuck has turned out beautifully, with lovely tender meat. im making a one pot sunday lunch for four, a cajun casserole for two and then french onion soup with the stock. not as rubber as some of the more seasoned OSers, but a valiant start :D
    I want to see the necklace that you make out of the bones ;)
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • I never wash my chicken unless I think it may have been open to the elements. - ie. a reduced on that has the packaging split or something.

I just sling it into a roasting tin (only breast initainllly down if its a large one) at gas mark 6 for 20 mins then turn it down to gas mark 4/5 for the rest of the time.

I turn it over after about half the time, if I started it off upsidedown.

test it with a skewer between the thing and the breast ( in the crease thingy) and the juices shoudl run clear. If not done give it a bit longer and retest.
    pudds

edit BTW french onion soup should be made with a strong beef stock.

how about leek and potato or a chicken and veg one instead. they should be tasty with chicken stock.
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    the (student friendly) french onion soup recipe i have said chicken or beef. and beggars cant be choosers :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    anyone got any good ideas for left over roast chicken? i have already made a stew and dont fancy curry and these are my usuals.
    i am determined to continue my quest of not wasting anything so any ideas greatfully received!!

vix
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    a sandwich
  • Coronation chicken - with rice or as a pot filling? Chicken supreme, chicken minced and cooked in beadcrumbs.....chicken stroganoff....chicken pie..
    I'm sure you will get loads more ideas.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Chicken fricasee is lovely, it's like a creamy chicken stew with various small veg in it, served over plain rice.

Not sure of a recipe but there will be loads if you Google it.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Chicken fricase
    Love living in a village in the country side
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills