PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to roast a whole chicken?

Comments

• Very simply a chicken will cook at about 20 minutes per pound or 45 minutes per kilo + 20 minutes for the oven at Gas mark 5 or 180C. The juices will run clear and not pink when coooked

As a new starter you do not have to do anything to the bird first except have a look inside it for a plastic bag full of bits (Do remove it!!!!). They will roast better on a rack in a roasting pan, you can also roast them upside down too. I would suggest you get the hang of it first before getting all advanced with additional flavourings - Good luck with experimenting.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Very simply a chicken will cook at about 20 minutes per pound or 45 minutes per kilo + 20 minutes for the oven at Gas mark 5 or 180C. The juices will run clear and not pink when coooked

As a new starter you do not have to do anything to the bird first except have a look inside it for a plastic bag full of bits (Do remove it!!!!). They will roast better on a rack in a roasting pan, you can also roast them upside down too. I would suggest you get the hang of it first before getting all advanced with additional flavourings - Good luck with experimenting.

Thats something else i do, with all poultry, i roast them upside down for the first half an hour, i have a cake rack that fits in my roasting tin, and i often put the meat on that, so that the skin doesnt stick to the bottom of the tin.
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    If your not on a diet, and putting some butter under the skin, try adding some crushed garlic and mixed herbs to the butter, its delicious, making my mouth water just thinking about it. My kids love the leftover chicken sandwiches in there packed lunches the next day.
    Sue
  • we cook small whole chickens by drizzling oil over the skin, seasoning with salt, pepper and mild curry powder, then pop in a baking tray in a 230 degree C oven for 45 mins. Comes out perfect every time!
    2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    mmm Stumpjumper, that sounds delicious.
    Sue
  • I heard this one (Gordon Ramsay I think) and I do it every time and the meat stays so moist and lovely - COOK IT UPSIDE DOWN !! That is, take it out of the wrapping and turn it over before you put it in the tin. I also put it on a rack in the tray so that it does not sit swimming in its own fat and juices. Cover with a bit of foil until the last 20 mins of cooking time and hey presto...
    By the way, I now buy a chicken each week to cook for butties rather than expensive packets of ham and the family love it.
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    By the way, I now buy a chicken each week to cook for butties rather than expensive packets of ham and the family love it.

What a great idea, I'll try this one and see how it comes out and then I may do that. Especially if I can get some cheap offers like the two I got yesterday. It would be very cheap indeed ;)
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • GingerSte
    GingerSte Posts: 2,486 Forumite
    That's a good idea about cooking them upside down. I'll have to try it! I will also try the garlic butter thing as well.

I usually end up getting 3 chickens a month (3 for a fiver at my local butchers), and freezing 2 of them.

When cooking I usually chop up a leek and a couple of carrots and stick them on the bottom of the dish, with the ckicken on top and 2 chicken oxo cubes. It saves on washing up the extra pan and the veggies always seem to taste better done that way.

Does anyone have any more good ideas about which herbs and spices would go well with chicken?
  • When we say "Cook the Chicken Upside Down" to whose perspective are we referring to - The Chooks or ours??? ;) (Being as they are already Tummy Up when you buy them) :D
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • hi all this chicken talks got me thinking about one sat in my freezer! how long can they stay frozen for and still be edible after!also found some chicken breasts been there since last july can i cook em and eat em or should i sling em?
    sorry if ive posted in wrong place just thought you lot might be able to help
    cheers katex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport