Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• jjhdee
    jjhdee Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes. The only instance we didn't have to was during a trip to Japan where tipping is not socially acceptable and seen as an insult.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As a former waiter I always tip. The fact is, it is not an easy job. Long hours on your feet, customers giving you **** for things that aren't your fault. That job is not worth the minimum or near minimum wage that you get for it. The hours are unsociable you have to deal with people at their worst and drunkest and rarely see friends and family because they're all at home whilst you work the evenings and weekends. Most waiters and waitresses want you to have a good experience it makes there day alot easier and they aren't trying to annoy you. Fact is for the 6/7 quid an hour you can go have a cushy job in a shop or a supermarket . No one would do the job willingly without the prospect of tips it's simply not worth the stress. Anyone who says it's easy has clearly never worked in a busy restaurant.

As an ex waitress I would like to see tipping abandoned as the old fashioned practice it is and a fair wage for the job paid.

I remember in the 80s my mum who had a job where her minimum wage was minimal & she made two thirds of her income on the tips.
    Well she got breast cancer and was looking at months off, on a minimum wage that wouldn’t cover her bills.
    The wage should be realistic, put the prices up to cover and scrap tipping.
  • Cefca
    Cefca Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    As an ex waitress I would like to see tipping abandoned as the old fashioned practice it is and a fair wage for the job paid.

They already do get a fair wage, in the UK at least.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, for good service and a good meal. Isn't that what I'm there for?

No, If service is terrible and/or the meal is rubbish. If the waiter service was good, but the food was not, I explain that is why there will be no tip.

Does that put this interminable, never-ending Topic to bed?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Strange one, food is good you tip the waiter/waitress, last time i checked they didn't cook the food.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    Strange one, food is good you tip the waiter/waitress, last time i checked they didn't cook the food.

The whole thing is a mockery.
    Wages should be a fair wage to attract the right staff for the eating establishment. Food should be priced to include all costs.
  • Locas
    Locas Posts: 2 Newbie
    I hate tipping and would far rather pay a fair price
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Locas wrote: »
    I hate tipping and would far rather pay a fair price

In London we get better service because of service charges.

In most places a service charge is already added so that saves you the worry of tipping.

Abroad the same is true. I’ve been on diving trips in mexico, Egypt and the Maldives and the crew work really hard to earn your favour, but ultimately you have choice and there is no pressure.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    lisyloo wrote: »
    In London we get better service because of service charges.
    I doubt that... Default service charges do seem to have increased in the last 5 to 10 years but I don't see a correlation with improved service.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I doubt that... Default service charges do seem to have increased in the last 5 to 10 years but I don't see a correlation with improved service.

Well I absolutely do get good service where service charges/tipping are used, but I’m also polite and friendly. If I’m genuinely interested in Something e.g. wine, I often get offered a taster as I come across as genuine.

Maybe your attitude screams that you’ll be tipping over your dead body so people don’t bother trying to please you?

Just something to think about - your attitude.

I am certainly no pushover. I’ll take off a service charge or complain if necessary, so being nice doesn’t mean being soft.

A lot of truth in what the queen mother said - walk softly with a big stick.

Being nice or a little charming tend to get better results whatever situation you’re in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback