PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do i make my own chicken stock?

Options
Hi all!! Just a quick question. Having a roast chicken tomorrow and I always use any leftovers for curry or pasta bake the next day but how do I use the bones to make stock and what can I use this stock for?

Any help gratefully received :j
Official DFW Nerd Club Member no 694
Long haul supporters DFW no 12 - DFD - May 2022:eek:

:T Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts:T

Comments

• susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Boil up the bones or pressure cook them with water and any ends of veg - i.e. ends of carrots and potato peelings (clean) and use to make soup when ready - I boil it for ages till its really strong with the goodness from the bones and skin. Or freeze for later.
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Weemac:)

Get hold of your biggest pot.

Chuck in your chicken carcase plus any bits and pieces of skin left in the tin. I rescue bones from my families plates for the stockpot but I know some people find this a bit extreme;)

Next, add a peeled onion, a carrot and if possible astick or two of celery and a leek -all good for flavour.

Cover with water and bring to the boil.

Turn down to a simmer, cover and leave it bubbling away for an hour and a half.

When it is cool strain it and chuck away the solids.

You now have stock. It will not taste like chicken soup but it will be the makings of a good flavoured soup or casserole.

I pour my stock into freezer tubs and freeze.

I use it in soups, stews and casseroles and risottos.

If you keep it in the fridge try and use it all within 4-5 days. You will probably find that it jellies when in the fridge. This is because of all the gelatine in the bones and is a good thing. It will melt when heated obviously.

I think I'm right in saying the stock made with any kind of bones is full of the minerals contained in those bones, so presumably it is calcium rich and extra good for you- also no strange chemicals ;)

HTH
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi weemac,

I put any leftover chicken (bones, skin and any meat I'm not using for something else) into the oven in the roasting dish to brown........this really helps the flavour of the stock.

Then put the lot into a saucepan........I also throw in any left over veg or half dead bits of veg you find in the bottom of the fridge. (I keep the ends of vegetables and peelings in the freezer specifically for making stock).

Cover it with water, bring to the boil quickly, then reduce the heat and simmer for at least four hours.

Strain the liquid into another pan and discard all the bones/veg etc.

If you intend to freeze the stock to use later, put the pan onto the hob and boil to reduce it to a smaller amount as it takes up less room in the freezer.

A good stock will be jelly like when cold.

The stock can then be used to add flavour to soups, gravy's and sauces.

Hope this helps,

Pink
  • Weemac
    Weemac Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the help - I will try that tomorrow and probably freeze the stock and use it in a risotto next week.
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no 694
    Long haul supporters DFW no 12 - DFD - May 2022:eek:

:T Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts:T
  • Upsey_daisy_2
    Options
    I am cooking a chicken for dinner today, I am going to try and make it last 2 dinners and 1 lunch but....

How do I make stock from the carcass and what I can the stock be used for :confused:

Thanks..
    January Grocery challenge
    Budget £120
    Spent so far £22.54
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    I'd bung it in a crockpot or large saucepan with an onion/carrots/celery/whatever you have. Cook it on a low heat for a few hours, skim off the fat, strain out the bits. You can use the stock to make soup, or freeze it in large tubs/soupbags, or even in the icecube tray if you just want a little bit at a time.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Sola wrote: »
    I'd bung it in a crockpot or large saucepan with an onion/carrots/celery/whatever you have. Cook it on a low heat for a few hours, skim off the fat, strain out the bits. You can use the stock to make soup, or freeze it in large tubs/soupbags, or even in the icecube tray if you just want a little bit at a time.

Thats what i do, make a big pot of soup and freeze it. Have you any good recipes for me? The one i do is potato, onion, leeks, carrots, a hint of basil and veg stock and when it's all cooked i blend it into a soup and put whatever we don't have in little other pots to have other days. If you have any other ideas what i can put in next please let me know :D
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Upsey_daisy,

There's a recent thread on making chicken stock that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    Thats what i do, make a big pot of soup and freeze it. Have you any good recipes for me? The one i do is potato, onion, leeks, carrots, a hint of basil and veg stock and when it's all cooked i blend it into a soup and put whatever we don't have in little other pots to have other days. If you have any other ideas what i can put in next please let me know :D

Hi Kimberley,

For lots of soup recipes have a look at this thread:

Soup recipes

Pink
  • bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    roast you bones with a little honey first to give your stock a golden colour fry off you veg trimings add cold water and bring to boil turn and simmer never boil stock for too long it will make the stock go cloudy and will impear the flavour of your stock have nice new year everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure